A Touch of Midnight by Lara Adrian

A Touch of Midnight

by Lara Adrian

1911261,769 (3.72)2

I can see that the series could be good but this quite short novella is pretty predictable and forgettable ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
I'd been wanting to read this author for a long time so I was happy to find this free novella. However, it seems this world is not my cup of tea. It's not a bad book, I just didn't find it interesting enough.
6/10 ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
It was so nice finally seeing G & S's story. Although this is the prequel to the series if you are new to the series I wouldn't recommend starting with this book. Read it after you are well acquainted with the characters! It makes it that much sweeter since it is not that in depth.

TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
Paranormal Romance. Midnight Breed Novella. Savannah gets the history of an object from touching it. Vampire warrior Gideon and the sword used to kill his family. OK ( )
  C4RO | Jun 1, 2015 |
A Touch of Midnight by Lara Adrian
Book #0.5: Midnight Breed Series
Source: Purchase
My Rating: 4/5 stars
My Review:

For those, like myself who started the Midnight Breed series with the first full-length novel, Savannah and Gideon have always been in the picture, always been a solid unit and, always been fan favorites. In all honesty - and totally out of character for me given my love of backstory – I never really questioned the beginning of Savannah and Gideon. They are so much a part of the very fabric of the Midnight Breed series that I never considered where they came from. Thank goodness Lara Adrian was apparently questioned by someone because the story of Savannah and Gideon is one that needed to be told.

Savannah Dupree has a gift that has set her apart from everyone her entire life. Any physical contact with an item will immediately give Savannah the history of the object and though she has always considered this gift to be something of a curse, it will in fact be the key to her future happiness. As an art history student (YAY!!!! A character working in my field ) Savannah can easily touch an item an know its story but she enjoys the study and the research. As a means of furthering her education and experience, Savannah and her roommate have taken on an internship with one of their professors in which they are to catalogue and fully examine a cache of goods donated to the university. The work is slow and tedious but Savannah loves the work especially when she comes across a beautifully wrought sword stashed in one of the back rooms. Though she would normally never touch an item with her bare hands, Savannah touches the sword and the brief glimpses of its history that she is afforded is as confusing as it is disturbing. In the coming days, Savannah tries to forget the glimpse of history that she received by touching the sword but as events begin to spiral out of control, Savannah understands that she has become caught up in something far greater than she ever could have conceived of.

Gideon has spent the last couple of centuries working in the service of the Breed. As a vampire with exceptional speed, strength and, intelligence, Gideon has always been an asset in the field. He has pledged his life to protecting both the Breed and humans and for centuries he has done so with unwavering commitment. Savannah Dupree is something and someone Gideon never planned for and from the moment he sees her on TV, he is drawn to her. Her association with the sword, the fallout from the murder of her roommate, the tracking of her by Rogues are all interesting to be sure but it is her intelligence, her beauty and, her status as a Breed mate that is truly intriguing. Though Gideon knows getting involved with Savannah is a very bad idea, he can’t seem to stop himself from seeing her. As with every Breed book, Savannah and Gideon’s HEA is a hard road that involves, Rogue attacks, a lot of denial and, some serious, life-threatening injuries.

The Bottom Line: I can’t believe I never questioned the backstory of Savannah and Gideon!! I have always liked both characters, particularly Gideon and his geeky awesomeness but now that I know how they came to be, I think I may like them even more. Gideon’s backstory and how he became the backbone of the Order is intimately tied to his feelings for Savannah. Savannah’s presence within the compound and her ability to make the others feel welcome and safe is tied to her love for Gideon and her desire protect those who have loved and accepted her unconditionally. At the end of the day, Savannah and Gideon remain two of my favorite Breed characters and I am so glad their story has been written. ( )
  arthistorychick | Feb 7, 2015 |
For every reader who asked me to share this story. Thank you for loving Gideon and Savannah. I hope this glimpse into their past will make you love them even more. ~ ~ ~
Boston University October, 1974 Savannah Dupree turned the silver urn in her gloved hands, studying its intricate engravings through the bruise-colored tarnish that dulled the 200-year-old work of art.

Savannah Dupree is a freshman studying at Boston University on a full scholarship. But academic excellence is only one of her gifts. Savannah possesses something even more remarkable than her quick mind and insatiable curiosity for learning. With a simple touch, she can see an object's past--a skill that puts her life in danger, when her studies bring her into contact with a centuries-old English sword and the terrible secret hidden within the blade's history.

In all his three hundred years of living as one of the Breed, vampire warrior Gideon never dreamed he'd see the blade again that spilled his young brothers' lives ages ago in London. Ever since the boys' deaths, Gideon's been on a personal quest to rid the world of Rogue vampires, but now he can't help wondering if the brutal slaying was something more sinister--an act perpetrated by an unknown enemy. An enemy who is apparently living in hiding somewhere in Boston. There's one certain way to prove Gideon's suspicion, but it will mean using innocent, gifted Savannah to help uncover the full truth--a truth that will shatter everything she knows about herself and the world around her. And with danger closing in from all sides, the passion that ignites between Gideon and Savannah will tempt them to risk their hearts and lives for a love that might just last an eternity....

(This 40,000-word novella, a prequel to the Midnight Breed series, was previously published in its entirety in The Midnight Breed Series Companion, also available now in ebook and paperback.)

The Midnight Breed Series reading order:

Book 0.5: A Touch of Midnight (prequel novella)
Book 1: Kiss of Midnight
Book 6: Ashes of Midnight
Book 7: Shades of Midnight
Book 8: Taken by Midnight
Book 9: Deeper Than Midnight
Book 9.5: A Taste of Midnight (novella)
Book 10: Darker After Midnight
The Midnight Breed Series Companion
Book 11: Edge of Dawn
Book 12: Crave the Night (on sale Aug 5, 2014)
Book 12.5: Tempted by Midnight (on sale Oct 14, 2014)

...and more to come!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193919394X, Paperback)

This novella, a prequel to the Midnight Breed series, was previously published in its entirety in The Midnight Breed Series Companion.

Savannah Dupree is halfway across the country from her Louisiana bayou hometown, a freshman studying at Boston University on a full scholarship. But academic excellence is only one of Savannah’s gifts. She possesses something even more remarkable than her quick mind and insatiable curiosity for learning. With a simple touch, Savannah can see an object’s past—a skill that puts her life in danger, when her studies bring her into contact with a centuries-old English sword and the secret hidden within the blade’s history: the vicious murders of twin boys by a group of fanged creatures borne of the worst kind of nightmare.

In all his three hundred years of living as one of the Breed, vampire warrior Gideon never dreamed he’d see the blade again that spilled his young brothers’ lives ages ago on that blood-soaked night in London. Ever since the boys’ deaths, Gideon’s been on a personal quest to rid the world of Rogue vampires, but now he can’t help wondering if the brutal slayings of his only kin was something more sinister—an act perpetrated by an unknown enemy. An enemy who is apparently living in hiding somewhere in Boston. There’s one certain way to prove Gideon’s suspicion, but it will mean using innocent, gifted Savannah to help uncover the full truth—a truth that will shatter everything she knows about herself and the world around her. And with danger closing in from all sides, the passion that ignites between Gideon and Savannah will tempt them to risk their hearts and lives for a love that might just last an eternity….

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:18 -0400)

Since the slayings of his young brothers by Rogue vampires in London centuries ago, Breed warrior Gideon has pledged his life and his sword to the mission of destroying those of his kind lost to Bloodlust. But that vow is tested when he meets Savannah Dupree, a beautiful college student who finds herself in the crossfire of Gideon's war with a hidden, deadly enemy.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,107,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible