From History's Shadow by Dayton Ward

The Trekathon continues! The cover of this novel tempted me - I know, I'm shallow - but I wisely decided to borrow and not buy. Based on the standard Trek premise of going back to the 'past', i.e. twentieth century Earth, Dayton Ward has written a plodding spin-off novelisation which runs on from the original series episode Assignment: Earth. The Enterprise and her crew are the lynchpin of the story, granted, but most of the 'action' is spread between secondary/minor characters of the author's own creation, which is not why I read these things. I did like the circular ending, but battling through all the exposition to get there took some determination!

Part X-Files, part Men In Black, with a dash of The Champions thrown in for good measure, Ward has crafted an intricate time travel story about a 'temporal war' between two alien factions, the terrestrial fallout of the battle on Earth (one word: Roswell), and an all seeing, all powerful agency trying to keep the peace. Kirk and co. get drawn back into the action when two of the alien arch-meddlers suddenly appear on board the ship, with Roberta Lincoln (of Assignment: Earth) in hot pursuit, but ultimately, Ward seems to be using the captain and his ship as a licence to publish under the Star Trek banner. Deathly dull, for those readers not into UFOs and alien sightings, which - ironically - I'm really not. Ward also seems to be one of those writers who prefer in-jokes over characterisation, referring to past episodes and the quirks of the series ('I really hope our next mission isn't quite so .. odd'), rather than building on the personalities of Kirk, Spock and the others in the context of the story. And on a pedantic level, the author's Yoda-esque sentence structure on occasion was very distracting ('already had pledged', instead of 'had already pledged', for instance).

Ah, well - onward ever onward! ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Sep 5, 2013 |
Nice blend of real and Trek history. ( )
1 vote mmtz | Aug 19, 2013 |
For Ira, Robert, Toni, and Jack:
Thanks for making us believe in the "Little Green Men."
"General quarters! Intruder alert, Deck 8!"

Captain James T. Kirk discovers two intruders from Earth in the year 1968 on the Enterprise in 2268, a Vulcan and a member of an unknown race who has spent twenty years trying to bring about the destruction of humanity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible