Witch Emerging by Mona Hanna

Witch Emerging

by Mona Hanna

This is book #2 in the High Witch series. Ariel and Brayden are married and Ariel is expecting their first child. She is a bit concerned when she discovers the baby is able to use magic. She decides to continue with her desire to find the other high witches to ensure that they do not go through what Julius put Ariel through. She uses a location spell and finds Hallie, an 18 year old scribe who left home to start a new life where nobody knows about her powers that she still can't control. Hallie is back in a relationship with her childhood friend Sean who left two years ago so Hallie could become independent and strong. Now she is being confronted by a warlock named Nicholas who is bent on avenging his mothers death. He will use Hallie and Sean to get at Ariel. Ariel will have to teach Hallie to use her powers and they will have to join together to save those they love as well as themselves.

I have read the first book in this series but I don't believe it's necessary as the author does a good job of giving enough background on Ariel and Brayden. This was a fairly quick read that I read in just two sittings and a few hours. This story moved a bit quicker for me than book 1 did. I liked getting to know more about Ariel and her background. I did feel again that the romance was rushed and there were a few too many love scenes. The author did a great job describing things, especially the dreams/visions that Ariel and Hallie had. The story ended and felt complete but the author definitely left room for the next book in this series.

I received a digital version of this book free from Mona Hanna and NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  aharris1971 | Mar 17, 2016 |
Ariel and Brayden are back, and this time they’re facing a new threat.

Ariel and Brayden have been married for a week, but they already have a lot on their plate. Ariel is pregnant, but something isn't quite right with the pregnancy, and the parents to be are worried about their future child. Ariel is also desperate to find the other high witches, to ensure they never face what she went through with Julius.

Hallie is a young woman who fled from her childhood home in order to make a life somewhere where no one knew she was a witch. With a broken heart she takes up residence in a new town, with a new job. She wants to forget her childhood, the times when her magic was uncontrollable and she hurt people. But a stranger comes to town, someone who knows all about her past. He needs Hallie for his revenge plan, and will stop at nothing to get her, not even killing the man she loves.

This is the sequel to High Witch, and I'm afraid it just wasn't for me. I thought the first book had potential, and so decided to dive into the second book, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Like the first book, Witch Emerging is incredibly short, and I felt it was over before it really began. I ended up reading it in two sittings because it was such a quick read. In that respect it’s a quick, easy and enjoyable read. The story does also have some action packed scenes and answers some of the questions we are left with about Ariel’s past in book one.

This story kind of frustrated me, because I felt it had so much potential, and veered off in the opposite direction from what I wanted it to do. I wanted two kick-ass high witches who didn't let anyone blackmail or kidnap them, instead the story is mainly filled with romantic scenes of hair kissing and the man telling the woman that everything will be okay. I also didn't really understand how Hallie can have her heart broken by Sean when he tells her he wants to be with her – but not the way she is now, she has to change – then he disappears without a word for two years, turns up on her doorstep and everything is fine, they’re together and happy and living together.

I also felt the story was a little predictable, a man who looks like Julius is out for revenge, who could be possibly be and what could he possibly want revenge for? I felt that the action scenes and the moments of Ariel and Hallie learning about magic were brushed over in favour of hand holding and kissing. I guess this series falls more into the category of romance with a touch of fantasy, as opposed to the other way around. The story does have it’s moments of intrigue, there’s a couple of interesting action scenes and Hallie having visions of Ariel and blood did spark my intrigue. If you've read the first book, it is a quick and easy read and will answer some of your questions from earlier in the series, but overall, just wasn't for me. ( )
  ColeReadsBooks | Apr 15, 2015 |
I received the entire High Witch series in exchange for my honest opinion. In this second book I am still enjoying the story, but some things really stand out for me. I'm not sure whether this is supposed to be a romance with some magic, or a fantasy with some romance. In either case, there is more sex than I would deem necessary to advance the story/show the relationships between characters. I also need to comment on the frequency of the use of the word amazing. It rivals a 21st century entertainment report, is highly annoying, detracts from the story, and doesn't seem to fit with an era in which people get around by carriage, on foot, and by horse. Also, considering the semi-implied era, it seemed remarkably easy for both men and women to find gainful employment. There were some glaring grammatical errors in this book that I found distracting. Still, I'm eager to see what the high witch is up to in book three... ( )
  jak910717 | Dec 21, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading this book but I found that the story line was very similar to the first book in the series. ( )
  cat3crazy | Dec 15, 2013 |
i had won this book in a giveaway. i read the first book, and wanted to see where the author went with these characters. the plot was interesting and it was a quick easy read. ( )
  anh0521 | Nov 9, 2013 |

Is contained in

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Mona Hanna's book Witch Emerging (High Witch Book 2) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,986,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible