Great Little Gifts to Knit: 30 Quick and…

Great Little Gifts to Knit: 30 Quick and Colorful Patterns

by Jean Moss

2010515,329 (3.86)None

I'm a little confused because I vividly remember reviewing this book, going through all the patterns & adding my thoughts and comments about each one, and I can't find a copy of my review anywhere either online or on my hard drive. So here I am trying to recreate it, playing catch up as I am always doing.

I love Jean Moss's designs and I'm always looking for "gift" related patterns. I only knit for a few people & usually socks, because generally speaking those are the only items that anyone ever appreciates (it's why I knit a lot for charity). This book has a lot of gift giving ideas that maybe, just maybe might actually be appreciated by family.

Patterns are clearly written, terms and abbreviations are explained, and items are well photographed. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
Absolutely the ugliest designs I have ever seen. Items are knitted in yarns that are too heavy for the patterns. The items presented are in ghastly colors. No one I know would be caught dead in stuff that looks like this.

I received a review copy of Great Little Gifts to Knit by Jean Moss (The Taunton Press) through Netgalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Jun 28, 2014 |
Does what it says on the cover - instructions for 30 quick.colourful little gift-knits are contained within the book. Some of these don't appeal to me, but then that's the nature of the book which actually does have plenty of choice for everyone. Pictures are clear and contents are divided into 'baby', 'hers', 'his' and 'home' for quickly accessing the appropriate gifts section. Quick knits makes you want to gather your needles and yarn together and get cracking ( )
  bibliobeck | Apr 29, 2014 |
This book contains 30 patterns for small gifts to knit quickly. There are a lot of interesting patterns in this book and many give the opportunity to learn a new skill, like intarsia or short rows, on a small project. None uses very much yarn. Each pattern uses Rowan yarn, but an appendix shows the weight of each yarn so that the knitter can make substitutions. Almost every pattern lists an estimated skill level and time to completion of project (day, weekend or vacation).
Cable and lace instructions are written out. Instructions for multi-colored knits are charted. There is an appendix of techniques and stitches, but beginners and intermediate knitters will probably need another, illustrated technique guide.

I had only a few quibbles with the book. I do not know what "oversew" means and the term is not included in the appendix. I thought the cell phone sleeve would be neater and easier to knit if it were done in the round rather than knitted flat and then seamed. The construction of the Odalisque Turban and Hat confused me, and I'm not sure I would get the hang of it without examining a finished one.

Several patterns were particular favorites of mine. The Wensleydale Tea Cozy, which can also be a hat, has wild tufts of yarn at the top. The McDougal Dog Jacket is very sophisticated looking, but an advanced knit. The Galway Beanie is a good, basic cabled hat. The very simple and easy to knit Flavor Place Mats and Napkin Rings look attractive and would make an excellent beginner's project. I had never seen a pattern for a guitar strap before. The Hendrix guitar strap looks terrific and can also be used as a good looking cabled belt.

All said, I found this to be a well illustrated and useful book and I would recommend it.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher. ( )
  fhudnell | Mar 10, 2014 |
Although not a book for beginners, this is a great resource for the more experienced knitter. It contains a wide variety of patterns with great designs for babies, women, men, the home, and even the family dog. Patterns utilize beads, specialty yarns, and put a new twist on several traditional forms such as mitts and boleros. Beautiful color illustrations motivate the knitter to start casting on right away. An appendix of techniques is illustrated and easy to follow. This would be a nice addition to the experienced knitter's collection. ( )
  DrApple | Mar 4, 2014 |

"This book instructs on knitted projects to give as gifts"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,403,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible