Planes Fly! by George Ella Lyon

Planes Fly!

by George Ella Lyon

This shows how a plane can write in the air, and do loop-the-looping. Some are made for the President and others to ride in. It tells you different kinds of planes.
  JustineArm | Feb 28, 2015 |
How ther could be so many different kinds of airplanes some go fast some go super high and some are big and small.
  carmenbece | Feb 16, 2015 |
Richie's Picks: PLANES FLY! by George Ella Lyon and Mick Wiggins, ill., Richard Jackson/Atheneum, July 2013, 40p., ISBN: 978-1-4424-5025-7

"I'm leaving on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again"
-- written by John Denver in 1966, it became Peter, Paul and Mary's only #1 hit

These days, I can pull up Kayak's website, quickly determine the best prices between a dozen airlines over a month's time, and then compare them to Southwest -- where you get two free checked bags. I make my selection, and all that's left to do is type in my credit card number and email address.

It wasn’t always this simple. While, technically, there have been short-distance commercial airline flights going back nearly one hundred years, commercial flight in the U.S. was far more focused on mail and cargo until after WWII when, in the nineteen-fifties, the refinement of jet planes ushered in the beginnings of the commercial airline industry that we take for granted today.

I'm not sure whether that means that I've now been around for a really long time, or the modern U.S. airline industry is a lot younger than today's young folks might imagine.

But what I really want to know is this: Who was the first U.S. school kid to fold up a paper airplane and send it flying across the classroom while the teacher had his or her back turned to write on the blackboard?

I really love the silhouettes of kids flying paper airplanes on the front endpapers of PLANES FLY! This is followed by the cloud trail across the copyright and title pages of a prop plane that has just done three loop-the-loops.

There is an engaging retro style to the illustrations in PLANES FLY! They do a great job of showing us the relatively immense size of planes compared to workers on the runway, and nicely complement the rhyming and rhythmic text that explores airplane terminology, airplane types, airplane uses, and then:

"Fasten your seat belt.
Stow your stuff.
Feel wheels bounce
when the runway's rough."

In six spreads, we are inside a jet with a couple of young twenty-first century kids who, with their parents, are experiencing a cross-country daytime-into-nighttime flight. We get a great feel of what will be happening and what we can be doing.

(It doesn't look like me, but the grownup taking the nap is me. My own fear of flying consists of my wondering how stupid I look and sound as I sleep through several time zones.)

PLANES FLY! well serves our wonder and awe about those jets making lines across the sky, and our nervousness about our first airborne experiences.

Richie Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
Moderator http://groups.yahoo.com/group/middle_school_lit/ http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php ( )
  richiespicks | Dec 5, 2013 |
Colorful illustration's teach the reader about various airplanes and the people who work with them.
Source: DuPont Library
Age: 3 - 4 ( )
  TimberlyG | Oct 27, 2013 |
This title is perfectly okay. Nothing too noteworthy. Might make a good read-a-loud, but as an independent reading book it is just lacking in prose. I like the attempt at simple, clean illustrations (I am drawn to those types of picture books and was as a child) but I find some of the color combinations outright odd. Might work very well with young children fascinated by plans, but definitely not a good book for the older picture book kids. ( )
  vampireeat | Aug 15, 2013 |

Illustrations and easy-to-read rhyming text celebrate different kinds of planes, their instruments, what they carry, and what it is like to go for a flight.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,108,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible