The Death of Lucy Kyte by Nicola Upson

The Death of Lucy Kyte

by Nicola Upson

1202100,400 (3.78)16

Many, many years ago I read all of Josephine Tey's novels. They were wonderful and I read each of them many times. After having discovered Nicola Upson with Josephine Tey as one of her lead characters in each of her novels has both surprised and delighted me. I always look forward to the next book. ( )
  kp9949 | Oct 19, 2015 |
THE DEATH OF LUCY KYTE by Nicola Upson
Josephine Tey is one of my favorite authors so when I discovered that another author was writing using Ms. Tey as her protagonist I was intrigued. In this outing Josephine inherits a cottage in a village still under the influence of a murder that occurred in that same cottage many years ago.
Surprisingly the will that grants Josephine the cottage contains an enigmatic bequest to Lucy Kyte who “may take whatever she wants” from the cottage.
THE DEATH OF LUCY KYTE is an engaging and convincing mystery on several levels. First – who is Lucy Kyte? No one will admit to knowing her – and this in a village of few persons who all know each other. Second – what does Lucy want? Related mysteries abound. The mysteries are all connected and satisfactorily resolved by book’s end.
The characters are clearly drawn. The plot is tightly woven and original. Altogether an enthralling book.
5 of 5 stars ( )
1 vote beckyhaase | Sep 4, 2014 |
I suppose you are more ore less living at the cottage these days.  That is an experience I must try just once, I feel - making a new home.

Josephine Tey in a letter to Marda Vanne, December 1934
This story is dedicated to three remarkable women: my godmother Pearl, Elizabeth MacKintosh, and Maria Marten.
Josephine looked at her watch and sighed.

"A bold, epic debut novel set during the war and financial crisis that defined the beginning of our century. An investment banker approaching forty, his career collapsing and his marriage unraveling, receives a surprise visitor at his West London town house. Confronting the disheveled figure of a South Asian male carrying a backpack, the banker recognizes a long-lost college friend, a mathematics prodigy who disappeared many years earlier under mysterious circumstances. The friend has resurfaced with a confession of unsettling power. Zia Haider Rahman takes us on a journey of exhilarating scope, ranging over Kabul, London, New York, Islamabad, Oxford, Princeton, and Sylhet, and dealing with love, belonging, finance, cognitive science, and war. Its framework is an age-old story: the friendship of two men and the betrayal of one by the other, both of them desperate in their different ways to climb clear of their wrong beginnings. Set against the breaking of nations and beneath the clouds of economic recession, the novel chronicles the lives of people carrying unshakable legacies of class, culture, and faith as they struggle to tame their futures. In the Light of What We Know is by turns tender, intimate, and panoramic, telescoping the great upheavals of our young century into a first novel of rare ambition and profundity."--Publisher.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,375,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible