Beneath an Irish Sky by Isabella Connor

Beneath an Irish Sky

by Isabella Connor

I do confess to wanting to smack Luke over the head a lot, but then again if I had been Luke I would have been just as angry.

The book is filled with drama and anger. Luke is a young traveller, and people do not like travellers. He is an angry young man. Abused by his uncles, his mum just died and all his life he hated the man who left his mother.

Jack Stewart is also angry. His wife left him without a word 20 years ago and now she finds out he has a son. But he is good and tries his best. But Luke was just so very angry and hates him. You can see where the drama comes from. Confrontation after confrontation. Luke has been fed lies all his life. I felt so sorry for Jack, because in the end he lost it too and just wanted away. I could not have dealt with Luke and his refusal to believe anything else than what he knew.

Then there are secrets. Why did she leave? What happened? Quite a few shocking events.

I liked the book as I wanted everyone to just get along. But 20 years of hate is hard to let go of. And I so wanted to know why she had left.

An interesting story filled with drama and romance.( ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Jack has travelled to Ireland to identify his his dead wife's body. When he gets there he finds out there is a son he didn't know he had. Luke his son goes back home with Jack but doesn't fit in too well as he is a traveller like his mom.

I picked up this book because of the cover. When I saw the gypsy caravan I thought this story was going to be about the gypsies that lived in the wood and their traditions. However Luke is a modern day traveller and has to fit into a family he doesn't know, and has to cope with the snobbery and rejections.

This book wasn't what I thought it was going to be so I was disappointed. I carried on reading the book and the story wasn't too bad. I felt at times the story dragged on and sometimes nothing seemed to happen. The story has a romance and at times was a bit fluffy. I felt too that the book could have been a bit more gritty as there were elements in the book that warranted it.

Overall an ok read with a storyline that dragged at times and was a bit predictable, with a good mix of characters, some not very nice. ( )
  tina1969 | Apr 21, 2015 |
Beneath an Irish sky (5 stars)

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

What an amazing read! When I started this book, I worried it would be
a typical romance that had to much mushy stuff and not enough story.
Boy was I wrong! This was an awesome read about an estranged (very)
relationship between and absent father and his son. But not your
typical absent father, one that didn't know he had a child, let alone
why his wife left him 20 years previous.

The story line in this book was surprisingly intense! I truly enjoyed
getting to see how the puzzle pieces fit into the lives of all those
involved. It broke my heart to know that decisions adults make can
hurt the children involved many many years into their lives. And this
book definitely helps you realize that money does not buy happiness
and often can ruin the making of a happy life.

I loved the characters! They were all so very well developed and you
couldn't help either love or hate each one! There is so much involved
in getting to know the characters of a book. And I truly enjoyed
getting to know these ones so very much. They were so well developed
that you truly do hurt for them when they are hurting in the story and
you celebrate when they have moments of joy. It is something I admire
about great authors like Isabella Connor.

I really enjoyed that this story did not solely revolve around the
romance side of it, but more the romance trickled around the bigger
story, it made it a fantastic read! ( )
1 vote Terry_Mitchell | Feb 20, 2015 |
Easy to read & engaging. Picked this up on a whim whilst at the library but was glad I did :) ( )
  hscherry | Feb 12, 2014 |

Jack thought he'd put the past behind him. On the surface, he has everything, but a tragic road accident shatters Jack's world. Raised as an Irish Traveller, Luke Kiernan hasn't had it easy, and when he wakes in a Dublin hospital to find the man he's hated since childhood at his bedside, he's hungry for revenge. Two very different worlds collide, bringing new dangers, exposing past deceits, and unearthing dark family secrets buried long ago. But from tragedy springs the promise of a fresh start with two women who are intent on helping Jack and Luke mend their lives.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,688,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible