Girt: The Unauthorised History of Australia…

Girt: The Unauthorised History of Australia (2013)

by David Hunt

Loved it! Very sarcastic, but a fun way to read about our incredible history. Makes you wonder how we got this far! ( )
  PriscillaM | May 3, 2017 |
The subtitle of this book is a clue to what to expect: it's a tongue in cheek approach to the early history of Australia, at least as far as Europeans are concerned. It takes the reader from early European discovery to the end of Lachlan Macquarie's governorship. So it's by no means a complete history, just the first course. Personally, a lot of the attempted humour didn't quite take my fancy, but then it may appeal more to younger readers. There are also sections that provide background but are not strictly about Australian history, such as the American War of Independence and how it lead to the transportation of convicts to Australia as part of white settlement. However, I did find a lot of facts that I was not previously aware of, so humour aside it serves as a useful addition to the many dry tombs on Australian history. I give it 3 stars out of 5. ( )
  Bruce_McNair | Apr 24, 2017 |
Fascinating, sarcastic, entertaining and much more realistic than anything I ever read in school history books. Highly recommend to anyone wanting to know about early history or those how have out grown horrible histories. I am looking forward to the next installment. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this amusing and informative book. As a person who has always been an enthusiastic student of Australian history, I loved reading the stories behind the facts, and the truth behind the fiction of the so-called "fathers of the nation". My only disappointment was that I have always admired Governor Macquarie and this portrayal certainly painted a very human picture of a man with many failings.
David Hunt has a very amusing "turn of phrase" and the book moves along all to quickly. I think a sequel would be well worth reading, so hope he writes one ( )
  lesleynicol | Mar 1, 2015 |
True history, truly hilarious. I recall reading Sellars "1066 and all that" as a teenager and discovering that history could be fascinating and fun. There have been other since, Armour and Bryson to mention two. Now we have David Hunt (regrettably unrelated) revealing a few home truths in hilarious style about Australian history. It is history, but not as you know it.
Even if you remember what you learned in school, you'll learn more than a little new stuff here. ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Feb 5, 2015 |
For those who’ve come across the seas
Girt. No word could better capture the essence of Australia.

Girt. No word could better capture the essence of Australia . . .In this hilarious history, David Hunt reveals the truth of Australia's past, from megafauna to Macquarie - the cock-ups and curiosities, the forgotten eccentrics and Eureka moments that have made us who we are.Girt introduces forgotten heroes like Mary McLoghlin, transported for the crime of 'felony of sock', and Trim the cat, who beat a French monkey to become the first animal to circumnavigate Australia. It recounts the misfortunes of the escaped Irish convicts who set out to walk from Sydney to China, guided only by a hand-drawn paper compass, and explains the role of the coconut in Australia's only military coup.Our nation's beginnings are steeped in the strange, the ridiculous and the frankly bizarre. Girt proudly reclaims these stories for all of us. Not to read it would be un-Australian.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible