When Shadows Fall by J. T. Ellison

When Shadows Fall

by J. T. Ellison

1198149,309 (3.95)15

Samantha Owens was one of my favorite characters when she was the coroner in Nashville, Tennessee in the Taylor Jackson series and I always thought she should have a series of her own. Even though she deals with the forensic side of the murder she doesn't seem to have the same role as she did in the Jackson series. Too much romance takes it away from the "thriller" category and puts her series more in the "romance" department. Still a well done, intriguing read. ( )
  Carol420 | Feb 7, 2019 |
This is book 3 of the Samantha Owens series. Sam has now switched to teaching forensics. She receives a disturbing letter from a dead man imploring her to solve his murder but all signs point to suicide. When Sam learns Savage left a will requesting she autopsy his body, she feels compelled to look into the case. Sam's own postmortem discovers clear signs that Savage was indeed murdered. And she finds DNA from a kidnapped child whose remains were recovered years earlier. The investigation takes Sam into the shadows of a twenty-year-old mystery that must be solved to determine what really happened to Timothy Savage. Nothing about the case makes sense, but it is clear someone is unwilling to let anyone, especially Samantha Owens, discover the truth.

This fast moving thriller kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end. The characters were well-developed and the plot was well paced. J.T. Ellison has a knack of keeping you riveted and wanting more. Lots of twists and turns make you change your mind about what is going on. I can't wait to read the next book in the series. I would highly recommend this series to those who like suspenseful thrillers. ( )
  EadieB | Apr 25, 2018 |
From Amazon's Book Description:
Dear Dr. Owens,
If you are reading this letter, I am dead and I would be most grateful if you could solve my murder… Forensic pathologist Dr. Samantha Owens thought life was finally returning to normal after she suffered a terrible personal loss. Settling into her new job at Georgetown University, the illusion is shattered when she receives a disturbing letter from a dead man imploring her to solve his murder. There's only one catch. Timothy Savage's death was so obviously the suicide of a demented individual that the case has been closed.

When Sam learns Savage left a will requesting she autopsy his body, she feels compelled to look into the case. Sam's own postmortem discovers clear signs that Savage was indeed murdered. And she finds DNA from a kidnapped child whose remains were recovered years earlier. The investigation takes Sam into the shadows of a twenty-year-old mystery that must be solved to determine what really happened to Timothy Savage. Nothing about the case makes sense but it is clear someone is unwilling to let anyone, especially Samantha Owens, discover the truth.

My Thoughts:
I had read J.T. Ellison's Taylor Jackson series for years and loved them. When Taylor's friend and Nashville Medical Examiner, Samantha Owens, moves on and begins her own series, I thought "No way will these be as good". Was I ever wrong. This is the third book in the Samantha Owens series and each book has seen Samantha grow and develop. She has a new position at Georgetown medical School, she is seriously thinking about what she wants from her relationship with Xander Whitfield, her friend John Baldwin is settling in as her friend...it seems all is better in Samantha's world. Best of all, Sam's future may well include her going back to working the homicide cases that she was so good at. I believe this series will only get better and better with each new book. 5 solid stars for an excellent read. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Received this book as a Historical Fiction contest through Bookreporter.com. Not sure how it ended up in Historical Fiction it is most definitely a mystery thriller.

Great edge of your seat thriller that is perfectly paced with enough twists and turns to keep you guessing. The mystery opens with a letter from a dead man to Samantha Owens asking her to solve his murder that has been ruled a suicide by the locals. If that is not enough lets stir in a kidnapped child an old cold cased of a kidnapped child found dead that may actually not be dead and for good measure a creepy religious cult and serial killer.

Now I need to go back and read Ellison's other books in the series.
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
When Dr. Samantha Owens, a forensic scientist, gets a letter from a person whose death has been ruled a suicide, she is compelled to investigate. She and a number of others are listed as beneficiaries in the man's will. It soon becomes a race to solve the mystery of the man's murder before the murderer finds them and kills them also. ( )
  creighley | Mar 22, 2015 |
"A human being is only breath and shadow."

—Sophocles
"You are a human being, and so you must honor thy mother, she is the life of all things, the soul of your breath, your stars, your moon, the bringer of air, the guide of the tides. I am your mother, your breath, your sight and your feelings. Honor not me, but what I can be for you."

—Curtis Lott
"To think of shadows is a serious thing."

—Victor Hugo
"Let not your heart be concerned with death, for the three corners of our life are at hand. Birth, life, death, this is the only cycle that matters. Death is the great equalizer. Whether your life if one year or one hundred years, you will be resurrected in me, and we shall all live forever when the shadows at last fall.

—Curtis Lott
"What would your good do if evil didn't exist, and what would the earth look like if all the shadows disappeared?"

—Mikhail Bulgakov
For my mom, who asked every day if the words were any good,
And for my dad, who assured me they were.
And, as always, for Randy
Prologue

Someone is following me.

Dear Dr. Owens,

When Sam learns Savage left a will requesting she autopsy his body, she feels compelled to look into the case. Sam's own postmortem discovers clear signs that Savage was indeed murdered. And she finds DNA from a child who went missing years earlier and has never been found.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:14 -0400)

After suffering a terrible personal loss, Dr. Samantha Owens is settling into a new job at Georgetown University when she recieves a letter from a dead man asking to solve his murder. As she investigates the man's death, she is pulled into a twenty-year-old mystery involving a kidnapped child as well as the present-day death of Timothy Savage.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,358,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible