When Shadows Fall (A Samantha Owens Novel)…

When Shadows Fall (A Samantha Owens Novel)

by J. T. Ellison

#3 (1) 1404 (1) 2014 (1) 2015 (1) ARC (4) bedroom (1) crime (4) dnf (1) ebook (2) ELL (1) fiction (1) forensics (3) goodreads20170515 (2) library (1) library book (1) M (1) ME (1) mystery (9) mystery-thriller (1) paperback (2) part-of-a-series (1) police (1) R&R (1) romantic suspense (1) Samantha Owens (2) series (3) suspense (3) thriller (5) to-read (14) US (1)

From Amazon's Book Description:
Dear Dr. Owens,
If you are reading this letter, I am dead and I would be most grateful if you could solve my murder… Forensic pathologist Dr. Samantha Owens thought life was finally returning to normal after she suffered a terrible personal loss. Settling into her new job at Georgetown University, the illusion is shattered when she receives a disturbing letter from a dead man imploring her to solve his murder. There's only one catch. Timothy Savage's death was so obviously the suicide of a demented individual that the case has been closed.

When Sam learns Savage left a will requesting she autopsy his body, she feels compelled to look into the case. Sam's own postmortem discovers clear signs that Savage was indeed murdered. And she finds DNA from a kidnapped child whose remains were recovered years earlier. The investigation takes Sam into the shadows of a twenty-year-old mystery that must be solved to determine what really happened to Timothy Savage. Nothing about the case makes sense but it is clear someone is unwilling to let anyone, especially Samantha Owens, discover the truth.

My Thoughts:
I had read J.T. Ellison's Taylor Jackson series for years and loved them. When Taylor's friend and Nashville Medical Examiner, Samantha Owens, moves on and begins her own series, I thought "No way will these be as good". Was I ever wrong. This is the third book in the Samantha Owens series and each book has seen Samantha grow and develop. She has a new position at Georgetown medical School, she is seriously thinking about what she wants from her relationship with Xander Whitfield, her friend John Baldwin is settling in as her friend...it seems all is better in Samantha's world. Best of all, Sam's future may well include her going back to working the homicide cases that she was so good at. I believe this series will only get better and better with each new book. 5 solid stars for an excellent read. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Received this book as a Historical Fiction contest through Bookreporter.com. Not sure how it ended up in Historical Fiction it is most definitely a mystery thriller.

Great edge of your seat thriller that is perfectly paced with enough twists and turns to keep you guessing. The mystery opens with a letter from a dead man to Samantha Owens asking her to solve his murder that has been ruled a suicide by the locals. If that is not enough lets stir in a kidnapped child an old cold cased of a kidnapped child found dead that may actually not be dead and for good measure a creepy religious cult and serial killer.

Now I need to go back and read Ellison's other books in the series.
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
When Dr. Samantha Owens, a forensic scientist, gets a letter from a person whose death has been ruled a suicide, she is compelled to investigate. She and a number of others are listed as beneficiaries in the man's will. It soon becomes a race to solve the mystery of the man's murder before the murderer finds them and kills them also. ( )
  creighley | Mar 22, 2015 |
I have to say that When Shadows Fall is by far the best book in this series. I really felt like I found my niche with all of the characters. They were not just characters from a series but friends. The connection was the strongest it has been. Sam and Xander are a great couple together. I hope that one day they do get married. It would be nice to see Sam have her happy ending again with a family.

This story was darker and twisted. There were about three storylines taking place in this book but all of them were intriguing. I was trying to figure out the connection with them all prior to the reveal but couldn't. Just as I would start to figure out an answer, Mrs. Ellison would put a new twist in and blow me for a loop. This book is a one sit read. I can't wait to read the next book and see what Mrs. Ellison has up her sleeves. Strap yourself in for a thrill ride with When Shadows Fall! ( )
  Cherylk | Jun 8, 2014 |
For some reason, it took me awhile to read this book. While the suspense was good from the start and the feeling of mystery and danger was compelling, I didn’t feel a connection to the characters. Perhaps it was the sex scene right near the beginning of the book that felt more gratuitous than romantic. Or maybe it was the abrupt changes in point of view that were jarring until about halfway through when they began to finally make sense. Once I was hooked though, I very much enjoyed the read with it’s intense action scenes and interesting forensic-laced plot. Not for everyone due to mature content and foul language, but a well-orchestrated suspense novel overall.

In accordance with FTC guidelines, please note I received a free advance reading copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Jun 4, 2014 |

Dear Dr. Owens,

When Sam learns Savage left a will requesting she autopsy his body, she feels compelled to look into the case. Sam's own postmortem discovers clear signs that Savage was indeed murdered. And she finds DNA from a child who went missing years earlier and has never been found.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:14 -0400)

After suffering a terrible personal loss, Dr. Samantha Owens is settling into a new job at Georgetown University when she recieves a letter from a dead man asking to solve his murder. As she investigates the man's death, she is pulled into a twenty-year-old mystery involving a kidnapped child as well as the present-day death of Timothy Savage.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,012,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible