Time Travel to the Old Testament by Chris…

Time Travel to the Old Testament

by Chris Sinkinson

102880,191 (4)None

Highly rec by Ben Thompson as "quite simply a stonking book" where the reader is taken on "a journey through time to the ancient world where he acts as a witty, stimulating, and succinct tour guide, firmly putting the OT back into the hands of the normal pew-sitting believer".
  jandm | Jun 17, 2015 |
Time Travel to the Old Testament is a fun new book from P&R and, overall, it is a good book. It is quite an interesting and fun read. The chapter on Hebrew storytelling (including the sections on silences that speak and chiasm in Hebrew literature) and the chapter on Meet the Natives stood out the most to me. All of the chapters were engaging and informative, some more than others.

There are a couple of issues that are worth noting. Language like “the church was born” in the book of Acts concerns me and tempts me to have a negative view on the total of the work. I fight that temptation because it is really a good book and it might be a bit of an overreaction anyway!

Also, while an old earth position was interacted with well, there seemed to be an assumed position of theistic evolution that received no support or engagement with opposing position. The fact that this was brought up and not fleshed out, warts and all, is a bit troubling even for as someone, like myself, who is rather sympathetic to that position. I did enjoy the emphasis on the fact that Genesis, and the rest of Scripture, tells us everything we need to know (for salvation and righteous living) but not everything we might want to know.

Those issues aside, I really enjoyed this work and would encourage it to any who are looking for a clear, accessible, and fun look at the culture of the Old Testament. Read with care and you will gain much insight and have a good time doing it.

I received a review copy from P&R Publishing
  joshrskinner | Jul 30, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,546,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible