The House With the Wraparound Porch by…

The House With the Wraparound Porch

by MaryPat Hyland

The House With The Wraparound Porch, a novel by Mary Pat Hyland, opens in 1920 and ends in 2005 and tells the story of four generations of a family from New York's Keuka Lake area. The author brings to the reader a beautifully told saga filled with rich details and memorable characters. The heart of this story is family and the complex relationships within it. By using smooth prose, each character comes alive and the reader becomes engrossed in their quest for their own identity.
I found this to be a heartwarming story and well worth reading.

I received this book free of charge through Library Thing and I give this review of my own free will. ( )
  SAMANTHA100 | Oct 26, 2014 |
This is a lovely book about family, legacy, and the little secrets that we keep from the people we love most.

Although there are quite a few characters to try to keep track of, I liked them all (with the exception of Mara-she just seemed a little too eager to please and fit in for my taste). In fact, I felt like each generation could’ve had their own book because they all lived the kind of lives that are seemingly ‘normal’, while underneath there are all kinds of fascinating scandal, intrigue, mystery, and drama.

What I really liked in the book is how the author didn’t stick to a traditional way of telling a story from multiple viewpoints. I think many authors would’ve devoted a chapter to each character’s viewpoint and continually flipped between them all. Mary Pat manages to seamlessly intertwine the lives and the perspectives within chapters and does so without confusion and without jarring the reader.

As each generation passes on in the book it brought to mind my own family. I know one or two of the family ‘secrets’, but I wonder just how many more have been buried forever. ( )
  Etcetorize | Oct 10, 2014 |

MaryPat Hyland is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,648,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible