Dead Roots by Brian Geoffrey Wood

Dead Roots

by Brian Geoffrey Wood

173587,099 (4)None

[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

There were a lot of fresh ideas in this story. The government agency fighting supernatural entities thing wasn’t that original, but I liked that there were different roles assigned to agents and that they all contributed differently. It wasn’t just a team of guys shooting things — although there was plenty of shooting.

I will warn you, there is a certain level of gore in this book that may put some people off. Of course, if you like gore, this is just the thing for you! But, yes, point is, this is a rather gory paranormal horror novel. Lots of death and destruction and creepy things going on. That didn’t bother me. I thought it went well with the demon concepts; I’ve never seen possession depicted in any way similar to the way it’s depicted in this book.

So, conceptually and thematically, I thought the story was great.

That being said, let’s talk about writing.

Here are my issues with the writing.

Pacing. The beginning was very good, but I feel that the pacing stumbled a bit around the start of the second third of the book. There was a lot of activity jam-packed into the first third, and then it suddenly dropped off, gradually picking back up as the second phase of the plot took hold. Once it got back its feet, though, it stayed there, maintaining that great fast-paced terror show that a lot of horror employs.

Description. I thought the description of the actual horror material was very good, but I found it a bit lacking in other departments, especially when it came to transitions. There’s some non-linear stuff that goes on — flashbacks and what not — as well as some time skips, and it’s not always entirely clear what’s going on until you get pretty far into the section. So, pretty strong on the genre line but a bit weaker on the general stuff.

All in all, a bit of a mixed bag. ( )
  TherinKnite | Jan 19, 2014 |
review coming soon. one of the best series read this year ( )
  AKMamma | Nov 25, 2013 |
BY far on of the best horror eerie I've read this year and in long time. Full review coming soon ( )
  AKMamma | Nov 25, 2013 |

Brian Geoffrey Wood is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,454,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible