The Hole by William Meikle

The Hole

by William Meikle

Creepy yes, weird yes, all that scary no. It's a pretty good story all in all. My biggest complaint was the use of some really stupid grammar for some of the "country" characters. I'm from the country and only hear people talk like that when somebody writes what they think would be said. Dumb and a little demeaning. But outside of that it was a pretty good story. ( )
  groundedforlife | Jul 6, 2015 |
It starts with an odd hum that brings headaches and nosebleeds to the inhabitants of a remote, sleepy country town. Then a sinkhole begins to form…and out from that hole comes the townspeople's worst nightmares.

Facing their fears and the growing madness, a group of survivors descend into the collapsed area in an attempt to save what is left of their town. Sacrifices will be required, but will they be enough?

The hole is growing…spreading…and the horror within it is growing stronger…
This really reminded me of early KING.
It kept me turning pages to find out what was next in this gripping story.
The ending was perfect. ( )
  silversurfer | Sep 10, 2013 |
The Hole starts off with a pretty good opening line. "The hum started just after midnight." OK, I'm hooked. Right away, I want to know more. Having just seen an episode of Syfy's new series, Joe Rogan Questions Everything, where Joe investigates a strange hum in Windsor, Ontario, Canada, that's been driving the locals batty, I immediately wanted to know what William Meikle's take would be on such an occurrence.

In Meikle's story, those who hear the hum, also suffer nose-bleeds, and at Hopman's Hollow, there's a growing hole in the ground that threatens to swallow the owner's septic tank and eventually much more.

What we have with The Hole is one of the better character studies I've read in quite some time. Diverse townspeople brought together by a catastrophe that puts every one of them in imminent danger and, thanks to the military and CDC, leaves them with no way to escape. Tempers flair, leaders are tested and unlikely heroes are born. In this respect, it reminds me a bit of Stephen King's The Dome. The cast of characters is quite a bit smaller, but well developed, with people you care about and one in particular you can't wait to see get knocked off.

The Hole is filled (see what I did there?) with surprises. The cause is explained, to a degree, but there was a good deal left to the imagination. All in all, I found The Hole to be a very enjoyable read which I am happy to recommend.

The Hole is available now in both print and kindle format through Amazon.com from Dark Fuse press. In addition, if you have Amazon Prime you can get the book for FREE through the Kindle Lending Library. ( )
  FrankErrington | Aug 6, 2013 |

William Meikle is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,095,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible