First Bite by Dani Harper

First Bite

by Dani Harper

Neva and Travis
Interesting Werewolf/Changeling story. The bad guy of the story is using black magic.

This is the first and only book, so far, in the Dark Wolf series. ( )
  CC123 | Aug 10, 2015 |
An Interesting read - has drama along with action & romance - gave an excellent insight of being "bitten" and not wanting to "change" - really it was fun to read and has some good to great charcters - even an Evil Twin.... ( )
  Jjean7 | Mar 10, 2015 |
This is a good start to a new series. I loved The Changeling series and this one has the potential to be just as good.
What I liked about this one is the fact that Neva has to take time to adjust to and accept being a Changeling. That probably has a lot to do with how she was changed. She doesn’t understand what she is and is terrified, for good reason. The person who changed Neva wanted to have her under complete control. The fact that both Neva and Travis had some issues to face in order to move forward was well done.

I did liked Travis. At first he did take a while to understand what his wolf was trying to tell him and it made it feel as if his wolf had its own thoughts and opinions. It was a nice addition to the werewolf mythology.

Neva and Travis are fairly quickly attracted to each other, resist that attraction and still end up bonded. Not that they are complaining. I really enjoyed that last hot and steamy scene at the end.

It did take me a bit to get into this one, it wasn’t until about the 4th chapter I got to the point I didn’t want to put it down. I was a bit confused with the party scene in the beginning. It felt like it came out of nowhere. It wasn’t until after I was through reading it that I realized it was a flash back.

Overall this is a well written story that has action, mystery, magic and shifters. Would I recommend this to my friends and people I know like PNR? Yes. This does not end with a cliffhanger it’s a HFN and it sounds as if Travis and Neva’s story will continue in the next book.

(I received a copy from publisher for an honest review.)
  Tala2cubs | Sep 3, 2014 |
A fantastic start to a new paranormal romance. The story opens with a young woman Neva frightened of something dark and dangerous she believes she's become and deciding to end if all by throwing herself off a cliff before she hurts someone. She's saved by hunky Changeling Travis who happens to be passing through.

Neva is less than grateful for Travis's interruption and he's no more thrilled at helping her but he feels a duty to at least explain to Neva what she is. Both are on the run from some dark secret and there's enough mystery about both that kept me interested in two characters.

The story is well written with some good mythology and world building. The relationship between Travis and Neva is one that builds through our and they work at before getting together.

Some fantastic plot twists and one of the most power obsessed scary vilenesses I've seen in a while.

So thank you Netgalley for approving my request for this title. I will definitely been looking for more titles in this series. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
About a 3.5

Extremely quick, entertaining read.

What I liked: For a first in a series, First Bite was a solid beginning. The Changeling world is bit different from other were-books. The explanations provided by Ms Harper concerning Changelings was well plotted and thought out. The story stays on track and doesn't jump all over the place. I felt connected with the main character, "Neva" and could identify with her problems. I loved to hate the bad guy, Meredith. She was just so amorally written. The story in First Bite had an ending but leads to a good opening in the next book.

What I didn't like: I had a hard time connecting with the hero, Travis. I actually liked some of the secondary characters more. Not sure what the author could have changed to make him more appealing to me. She checked all the typical hero boxes but he just didn't engage me.

As I said, overall, a good beginning to a new series. I've never read anything by Ms Harper before and now might go back and try some of her other books.

The cost could be a factor for some. The paper back is priced at $7.77 and the Kindle version at $3.99. At 287 pages, the price seems a bit high.

Recommend ( )
  Fidget78 | Jan 5, 2014 |
"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side

which he never shows to anybody."

- Mark Twain
At least she'd picked a scenic place for her last night.

Dani Harper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,432,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible