Until the End of the World by Sarah Lyons…

Until the End of the World

by Sarah Lyons Fleming

As far as apocalyptic books this is a pretty believable one. ( )
  SA_Jane | Feb 18, 2017 |
Until the End of the World by Sarah Lyons Fleming is a fun mixture of a chick-lit and zombie/survival story. The main character, Cassie, is a young woman who is pretty inept at relationships, yet an ace when it comes to survival. Her survival skills come in handy as the world is experiencing an apocalyptic disease that leaves the inflicted dead but zombie like.

Cassie and her friends escape New York City and flee upstate to her “prepper” parents log cabin farmhouse that is self-sufficient and has been stocked with years worth of food and supplies. Although there is nothing really original about the storyline, I found myself fully engaged in this story. Cassie was a sympathetic heroine, having decided to get her life together on the day that the world as we know it ends, and one can’t help but root for her. Just as things appear to be running well for the group, a catastrophic event puts them on the road again heading for a rumoured safe place in Vermont. There is the usual amount of violence and gore in the book, but that’s pretty much to be expected of a “zombie” book.

Until the End of the World is just the first book with both a novella and a sequel so I am looking forward to joining Cassie and her friends for the rest of their adventure. Zombies, friendship, blood, romance and survival all mix together to make an apocalyptic story that I loved. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Aug 20, 2016 |
I love a good, book series. The relationship you develop with characters, whether good or bad can become so intimate. I remember reading the Twilight series. I was so involved with each character, even Bella, that I dreamed about them! I would wake up just to read more, it was so good,

I didn't do that with the characters of Until the End of the World, but I did find myself caring for them. A lot. Sarah Lyons Fleming, the author, told a really good story. I found myself disliking and liking people in this tale. The story's pace was just right, though a bit wordy at times. There were times where I thought I'd be bored with a situation, but she managed to pull my attention back every time. I like that in a book!

The story is about Cassie, a young lady who's got worldly problems, but none as big as the end of the world. Carrying an ex-boyfriend, love for an ex-fiancé, a set of sisters with a boyfriend and her best, gay friend, she's ready to leave the city of New York to escape the dreeaded Bornavirus!

For the full review: http://bit.ly/1KXtW4Y
**Audiobook from my Audible.com library. ( )
  AReneeHunt | Feb 3, 2016 |
What a pleasant surprise! "Until the End of the World" is a story about love, friendship, hope, survival and zombies. Cassie Forrest grew up on a farm in up state New York, her father and mother were preppers and spent much of their time teaching Cassie and her brother Eric what they needed to learn in order to survive the end of the world - this included stockpiling weapons, ammo and supplies. Cassie eventually gives it all up and moves to NYC after her parents are suddenly killed in a freak auto accident.

It's now two years later when the virus is borne and normal people become flesh eating monsters. It was a Friday, Cassie, her close friends and work associates were looking forward to their weekly get together at the local bar to kick off the weekend. Fortunately, they are dismissed early from work just as the virus gets out of hand in the city. As a group, they all decide to join Cassie in her quest to get back to the farm where there are ample supplies for all of them to hold up until this blows over. The government is telling everyone that it will all be resolved within a couple of weeks. Their escape from NYC is just in time!

Their journey is not easy as the group is initially targeted by police and military soldiers for containment and relocation to "safe zones". As those forces diminish, the group encounters hungry zombies and other humans who try to take their supplies and enslave the women. Once reaching the farm, they try to begin life anew in hopes that this infection ends soon and people will rebuild. It doesn't take long for that dream to come to an end.

I had total buy-in with each of the characters, John being my favorite as we are close in age and both Vietnam vets. Want some hints on how to prepare for the end of the world? This fine novel offers clues on how to survive - not only in body, but also in mind. There is humor and celebrating moments throughout the story to go along with those duels with death. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and quickly downloaded the novella and books 2 and 3 to complete this series. Looking forward to renewing my kinship with this group!

Well done Sarah Lyons Fleming! I compliment you for writing a wonderful story with a cast of likable characters. To be a writer, one must be dedicated, willing to sacrifice and have the full support of family to undertake a project like this. Kudos to you and your family!

John Podlaski, author
Cherries - A Vietnam War Novel ( )
  JPodlaski | Sep 4, 2015 |
I'm a sucker for a good zombie story and this is a really good one. I agree with some of the other reviews that the characters were a little juvenile on the beginning and along the way. But at its heart it's a story where all the characters have to grow up fast. And most do. Has a bit of romance but not much although it's truly a love story through and through. I recommend it. ( )
  groundedforlife | Jul 6, 2015 |

Sarah Lyons Flemingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Sarah Lyons Fleming is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,367,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible