The Singing River by R.K. Ryals

The Singing River

by R.K. Ryals

112820,536 (4)None

I am a huge fan of RK Ryals; her books never disappoint. I’ve had this book on my Kindle for some time now, and I do not know what took me so long to read it, but I am glad I finally did. I usually read Paranormal books, and this was a nice change of pace. I especially like how each chapter you see it from a different characters point of view. IE: one chapter will be Haven, the next will be River.

Haven Ambrose is a young woman living in a run-down trailer with her mom; working in the local diner to help make ends meet. Her love and loyalty for the only family she has keeps her from running off to college like she dreams of. She is a hard worker and a fighter, and realizes that nothing in life comes easily.

River, on the other hand, has lived the privileged life. However, money does not buy happiness. His father was killed during a home robbery, leaving River, his brother Roman, and his step-mom behind to pick up the pieces. River is off to college, studying courses that he couldn’t care less about, instead of his true passion- weather. Roman is very troubled, and gives their step-mother a hard time daily.

When River arrives home from college for the summer, he finds out that Roman is in deep with some kind of drug to heal the pain of losing their father. When he takes him out to lunch at the local diner, they have a chance encounter with a beautiful young waitress that captivates River. But then the brothers are kicked out of the diner for fighting, and neither Haven nor River can stop thinking about the other.

After her shift at the diner, Haven’s mom lets her know that she finally found a job and that means that Haven can take a few days off to help a man with his investigation about the legend of the river. Since Haven knows the history of the legend, she makes a great asset. However, when he comes to pick her up, she is shocked to see River and Roman sitting in the truck as well. After all, that man is their uncle. River is hoping to help Roman through whatever demons he is dealing with, and Haven is looking forward to a few days off from work and responsibilities.

River and Haven are drawn to each other, and the attraction is undeniable. Perhaps this camping trip is the perfect opportunity to find out what just might be.

Over all, an amazing book that draws you in and keeps your attention until the very end. I am hoping to hear more of Roman’s struggles from his point in view in future novels.
  annmwilson09 | Aug 9, 2016 |
Synopsis: Haven and her mother are barely making ends meet, but they are both working at it. If her mom gets the job she wants, Haven will be able to go to college, although she will still have to work. River is a wealthy older brother of a troubled young man. He, too, lives with a single step-mom. Haven doesn't trust the wealthy; River doesn't trust the poor. However, their lives overlap when River's uncle needs Haven's knowledge of local history to complete a book.
Review: This is an interesting book, but when you expect a mystery and get a rather obvious romance, it's rather disappointing. The writing is good and descriptions of characters and settings are true to the story line. ( )
  DrLed | Jun 1, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,069,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible