Wild Animal Neighbors: Sharing Our Urban…

Wild Animal Neighbors: Sharing Our Urban World

by Ann Downer

Reveals how the increase in human population is driving wild animals out of their natural habitats and into urban areas, and identifies the effects of this forced cohabitation on both species. ( )
  paula-childrenslib | Feb 7, 2015 |
I reviewed a very complete overview about urban wildlife last December, City Critters by Nicholas Read. I thought it was a really good overview, but unfortunately it proved a bit long for my library patrons and really hasn't circulated much. Sigh. So, when I saw Lerner had a similar title that was shorter, and I could pick it up on sale, I added it.

This is more a selection than an overview, with each chapter talking about a specific animal. Some, like the black bear in the introduction, are actual animals and some are more general, like raccoons. The book covers raccoons, mountain lions, crows, coyotes, flying foxes, sea turtles, and alligators. Each chapter tells some stories about how these animals live in an urban habitat and gives information about their habits, behavior, adaptation, and how they are faring in the cities.

The epilogue discusses some of the issues with wildlife in the city that were touched on in the different chapters and the book includes a bibliography, index, notes, and sources for further information.

Verdict: This is a better book for kids wanting to dip into interesting stories about animals in the city and learn some information along the way. It's not as in-depth as City Critters, but kids looking for some quick resources or an interesting read will enjoy it. I recommend purchasing both, but if you only have money for one I'd get Wild Animal Neighbors, since it will appeal to a larger audience.

ISBN: 9780761390213; Published 2013 Twenty-First Century Books/Lerner; Purchased at ALA Annual 2013
  JeanLittleLibrary | Aug 18, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0761390219, Library Binding)

What would you do if you found an alligator in your garage? Or if you spotted a mountain lion downtown? In cities and suburbs around the world, wild creatures are showing up where we least expect them. Not all of them arrive by accident, and some are here to stay. As the human population tops seven billion, animals are running out of space. Their natural habitats are surrounded?and sometimes even replaced?by highways, shopping centers, office parks, and subdivisions. The result? A wildlife invasion of our urban neighborhoods. What kinds of animals are making cities their new home? How can they survive in our ecosystem of concrete, steel, and glass? And what does their presence there mean for their future and ours? Join scientists, activists, and the folks next door on a journey around the globe to track down our newest wild animal neighbors. Discover what is bringing these creatures to our backyards—and how we can create spaces for people and animals to live side by side.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:38 -0400)

"What would you do if you found an alligator in your garage? Or if you spotted a mountain lion downtown? In cities and suburbs around the world, wild creatures are showing up where we least expect them. Not all of them arrive by accident, and some are here to stay. As the human population tops seven billion, animals are running out of space. Their natural habitats are surrounded - and sometimes even replaced - by highways, shopping centers, office parks, and subdivisions. The result? A wildlife invasion of our urban neighborhoods. What kinds of animals are making cities their new home? How can they survive in our ecosystem of concrete, steel, and glass? And what does their presence there mean for their future and ours? Join scientists, activists, and the folks next door on a journey around the globe to track down our newest wild animal neighbors. Discover what is bringing these creatures to our backyards - and how we can create spaces for people and animals to live side by side."--Jacket flap.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible