Zac and Mia by A. J. Betts

Zac and Mia

by A. J. Betts

I found Zac a lot more interesting than Mia. Mia's total self-absorption was realistic of some (many?) teenagers but she just pissed me off! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 20, 2017 |
This is the story of two teens going through cancer treatment. They have all of the usual issues with relationships, self-image and everything else that comes at that difficult age. Plus, they have cancer and treatments. It’s very relatable even to an adult or someone without a major illness. Readers nearing adulthood are the best audience probably, but I really liked it. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
To pitch this as "Eleanor & Park meets The Fault in Our Stars" is an unfairly high bar to set, though it does have teen cancer and teen romance. Zac has leukemia and is hoping his bone marrow transplant works, but he knows he doesn't have good odds; Mia, the only other teen in the adult cancer ward, has a tumor in her leg and a much better chance of survival. But, as they both learn, statistics aren't everything.

I started on audio but the narrator for Zac's part did not bring anything special to the performance and I wasn't enjoying it. I liked Mia's voice, but neither of them did an Australian accent, despite the fact that the story takes place in Australia. Switched to print and liked that much better.

Quotes

I know that around the world, 1,484 people will be diagnosed with cancer this hour. Almost twenty-five this minute.
But what are the odds of this? Shared breath, soft flesh, and the staggering possibility that life can be good again. (Zac, 175)

Ever since my surgery, all I've done is swing from pity to rage. Pity to rage. How can I not? Everywhere I look I'm reminded of what's missing. (Mia, 204)

Courage is standing still even thought you want to run. Courage is planting yourself and turning toward the thing that scares you, whether it's your leg or your friends or the guy who could break your heart again. It's opening your eyes and staring that fear down. (Mia, 281) ( )
  JennyArch | Aug 12, 2016 |
I started this as an audio book and didn't finish. I may come back to it, but I didn't get into the characters enough to continue.
  readerspeak | Jun 26, 2016 |
Getting tired of books trying to be like The Fault in Our Stars ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |

"The last person Zac expects in the room next door is a girl like Mia, angry and feisty with questionable taste in music. In the real world, he wouldn't--couldn't--be friends with her. In hospital different rules apply, and what begins as a knock on the wall leads to a note--then a friendship neither of them sees coming"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,629,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible