Fevered Souls Season 1 by S.K. Falls

Fevered Souls Season 1

by S.K. Falls

253428,870 (3)None

Fevered Souls is a fast paced novel. I haven’t read any books that discuss demon society, but this one definitely does. And it’s not always pretty.

I think my favorite characters are James, Victorine, and Oscar. While Dax and Cara are the main characters, they felt a little bland. I’m not a huge fan of insta-love, and that may be one of the things that kept me from loving these characters. They seem to not be able to go on without the other. That’s just not healthy at all. Besides the little love thing, Cara is a strong woman. She wants to get back on her feet, and get her mom some help. She also doesn’t like being the victim. She takes in her own hands to learn how to defend herself. Dax is intense. I think that may be the best word to describe him. He’s incredibly sweet, but also insanely protective. James is a friend of Cara’s. He cares about her, and constantly worries about her relationship with Dax. Oscar is sweet and caring, while Victorine is bitter. But I like her, she doesn’t hide her feelings.

We get thrown into a world full of demons and hell hounds. The hell hounds are pretty creepy in this book. They aren’t like anything I’ve seen them to be in movies, or other books. There are also many types of demons, each one has certain gifts. They have an hierarchy of sorts, and clans. The society system is fascinating. (Spoken like a true sociologist) I want to learn more about each kind. Also, there is something that happened with Cara’s father that’s hinted at, and I hope we find out what it is. And the ending! Super cliffhanger, and I want to know what the crap is going on.

If you like insta-love, and the prospect of a new type of society, definitely pick this up. It’s a fast read, and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Cara dreaded returning home from Chicago – but with no job and no job prospects, she didn’t really have much choice but to return to the small town of Eden

And get a job with the mysterious and wealthy Dax Allard – but an encounter with a hellhound and a strange mystical connection has made this small town far more exciting than she imagined.

I am often wary of romance in books – not because I’m against a romance plot, but because there are so many ways a romance plot can be written to guarantee I’ll hate it. What are those ways? Well there are several. And they’re in this book.

All of them.

Cara and Dax meet and LOVE STRIKES! Special Woo-woo love that means she is now his betrothed (which totally doesn’t mean the same as what we usually mean by that word – it also includes a compulsion to murder as well). She is dramatically attracted to him at first sight, tearful at the idea of his rejection and neither of them can stay away from each other. No development, no character (at all), no relationship, no interaction – just ZING INSTA LOVE FOREVER! Not only insta-love, but she is addictive to her – even her smell (like a certain sparkly vampire we may know) meaning it’s almost impossible for him to be around her without a relationship happening (at least in the beginning of the book, not so much by the end because consistency is not one of this book’s strong points).

Dax is a demon which makes him super dangerous and deadly to Cara – but she doesn’t care! She has known him for precisely 2 seconds and will now be with him forever EVEN IF HE MAY EAT HER SOUL! Of course he nobly warns her several times which she just completely ignores, maybe pausing long enough to insist that he’d never hurt her because she just knows. She’s also the one to keep pushing for the deadly soul eating sex because life and limb meaning nothing to this woman.

Being a noble love interest, Dax decides to protect Cara by staying away from her – something she takes as devastating, tearful rejection. In a job interview. Yes because he’s a complete stranger looking to employ her and him not doing so is enough to cause an epic tantrum of “it’s not fair!!!!” Frankly, I wouldn’t have hired her anyway, because she went to this interview for a job she needed and wanted and didn’t bother to research it first – not even realising Dax was a person, not a company. She googled him after the fact.

And while Dax is a demon he’s a super-special nice demon, not only abstaining from human souls (a demon vegetarian? Do they have golden yellow eyes) but being a special kind of demon that has SUPER BINDING LOVE.

We have a love triangle – but not really. There’s a guy, James, who’s really into Cara but she doesn’t like him that way – so she invites him to talk in the middle of the night, hugs him a lot and generally keeps him hopeful and he remains on call. He constantly worries about Cara being in an abusive relationship because Cara, well, basically keeps sending up red flags that she’s in an abusive relationship.

Dax is super protective and/or super jealous. To the point of breaking down a fire-station door in case the firemen had kidnapped her. No. Really.

Let’s take a pause here to look at our romantic characters Dax doesn’t have a character. He’s rich but I have no idea what he does except give money to charity. He doesn’t seem to do anything that doesn’t involve Cara, he’s just a big sexy cardboard cut out. Frankly, I found him immensely dull – and if you find a demon dull then that is a very very poor demon indeed.

And Cara makes Bella Swan look like someone with a beautifully rich and nuanced mind (I am trying so hard not to make Twilight analogies with this book, but really, it’s one tub of body-glitter away). No, really. She has this vast hatred for her home town that is never explained and quickly evaporates when it no longer serves a purpose. Her father is dead and she blames herself for it – for reasons unknown by is useful for extra angst in the beginning.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jul 11, 2014 |
Review to come; book tour.
  a_tiffyfit | Sep 21, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,721,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible