South Hills Sidekicks: Uninvited by Miss…

South Hills Sidekicks: Uninvited

by Miss Leah Spiegel

113,689,591 (5)None
Recently added bykhal_khaleesi

No tags.

I loved this book!! It was cute, thrilling, and super interesting. The blurb definitely had me intrigued, and I'm glad that I was able to read this book.

So I'm not going to bore you with going over what the blurb's about since the official blurb is pretty spot on.

For some reason, the title reminded me of a ghost story even though the cover says otherwise. I don't really get the title. I guess it's because there are parties involved in the book.

When I first saw the cover, I thought this was going to be a chick-lit book, not a YA book. The cover is definitely cute and different to what covers normally look like. I do like it a lot though.

I enjoyed the world building although there were a few things that seemed off. For example, there's an undercover cop at the girls' school. When this cop becomes friendly with one of the girls, he tells her information on the case that I don't think a cop would be able to divulge. While he didn't tell her everything about the case, there was some info that I thought would probably be enough to get him fired. There's also a part in the story when the undercover cop takes out the spark plugs in one of the character's cars. Personally, I thought that would be illegal which a cop wouldn't do. One more small thing that bothered me as the fact that the character didn't know what spark plugs were yet she knew what a certain type of wrench was. Other then those things, I quite liked the world building and found myself immersed in Alley's world.

The pacing was fantastic. I'm not going to lie. I thought this book would be all over the place pacing wise, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Each scene flows naturally into the next, and it's such an easy read. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next.

I enjoyed the whole mystery plot. While some of the plot twists were predictable, the plot stays interesting. I was desperate to find out who had taken Kirsten.

All of the characters felt like real life people except the character of Val. Val, to me, felt too ditzy to be real. Personally, I've never come across someone as spacey as Val. There were times in the book where she'd be in situations where it seemed no common sense was required, but she'd still make a mess of it. Maybe these uber ditzy girls do exist, but I've yet to come across one. I loved the character of Alley. She was so down to Earth and just came across as your average every day teenage girl. She felt like someone I could relate to and felt the most real out of all the characters. While Kayla and Libby were written well, I just wish that there would've been more information about them. I felt that there personalities didn't really get to shine through fully. I did like Shane as well, but I just wished he wasn't so moody. He does get better in the book, but I wish he would've treated Alley a bit nicer. Buddy the dog so cute in the book!

I definitely enjoyed the dialogue, and a lot of the time, I as laughing with the girls. Their banter came across really well and didn't seem too grown up or too young for their age. I don't really remember any swearing in this book. There are slight drug references, although there's no one drug referenced.

Overall, Uninvited is a cute and super fun read. It'll will definitely keep its audience hooked from the first page as they try to figure out the mystery.

I'd recommend this book to those aged 14+ who want something fun and lighthearted to read.

I'd give Uninvited (South Hills Sidekicks #1) by Leah Spiegel and Meg Summers a 4.5 out of 5.

(I received a free paperback of this book from the authors in exchange for a fair and honest review. This review can also be found on my blog). ( )
  khal_khaleesi | Aug 15, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,749,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible