The Dark Secret by Tui T. Sutherland

The Dark Secret

by Tui T. Sutherland

Not as good as 1-3. This one felt strained as if the author was trying to get to a word count. Good character development on Starflight. ( )
  weisser4 | May 3, 2016 |
Starflight is taken to the secret Night Kingdom, where he meets his father, sister, and the rest of his tribe for the first time. He's worried that they'll be disappointed in him when they discover that he doesn't have the Nightwing abilities of prophecy and mindreading.

However, when Starflight discovers the sinister schemes the Nightwings have for the rainforest, can he warn Glory and the rest of his friends in time? ( )
  soraki | Apr 24, 2016 |
The WINGS OF FIRE saga continues with a visit to the mysterious land of the NightWings, where Starflight must face a terrible choice---his home, or his friends?

Like all the dragonets of destiny, Starflight has always wanted to see his home -- but he's also been afraid of his fellow NightWings. Starflight doesn't have mindreading powers like his tribe, and he doesn't understand why they're so secretive. No one has ever even seen the NightWing queen.

But now Starflight is the dragonets' only hope -- he must find a way to negotiate with his fellow NightWings to free the RainWing dragons they've captured, and perhaps end the war in Pyrrhia altogether. Starflight is the smartest of the dragonets... but is he brave enough to speak up? Or will he falter in his mission, and accidentally betray them all?
1 vote | lkmuir | Nov 23, 2015 |
This is the fourth book in the Wings of Fire series. The sixth book in this series, Moon Rising, just released earlier in 2015. There are ten books total planned for this series. This was an excellent continuation of the Wings of Fire series. This series just keeps getting better and better. I really enjoyed this book a lot.

At the end of the third book, The Hidden Kingdom, Starflight had disappeared. In this book we find out where he went. Starflight ends up in the NightWing Kingdom and struggles to both survive and unravel the secrets of the NightWing kingdom. What secrets do the NightWing Kingdom hold and how do these secrets impact the prophecy of the dragonets?

I have been reading these because my son loves them and likes to talk to me about them. I do think this series will appeal more to middle grade readers than adult readers, but they are really starting to grow on me. I do think each book has been better than the one before it.

This was a fantastic read with a lot of secrets uncovered and some interesting twists and turns. This is also the first book where the second group of dragonets features prominently.

We spend a lot of time with Starflight in this book and (while he isn’t my favorite dragonet) it was interesting to see things from his perspective. We finally get to meet the mysterious NightWing Queen and also get to meet Starflight’s father.

I loved that we got to spend more time with Deathbringer (I loved him in book three). I also really enjoyed the character of Fatespeaker, she is so funny and spunky.

I like the direction the plot is taking and am really pulling for these dragonets in their quest to stop this years long dragon war.

Overall this was an excellent book in the Wings of Fire series. While I do think this series will appeal to middle grade readers more than adults, I have found that it’s kind of growing on me. I enjoyed all the secrets that were revealed in this book and the twists and turns. I also really enjoyed some of the new dragonets that featured in the story. I can’t wait to see what happens in the fifth book, The Brightest Night. ( )
  krau0098 | Mar 6, 2015 |

Tui T. Sutherlandprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rubio-Barreau, Vanessasecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:31 -0400)

When Starflight, one of the dragonets of destiny, is kidnapped by the NightWings he finds that the kingdom of his birth is a miserable place, full of terrible secrets--and that, with his fellow dragonets too far away to help, the fate of two kingdoms rests in his talons.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,161,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible