I Am Mixed (I Am Book) by Garcelle Beauvais

I Am Mixed (I Am Book)

by Garcelle Beauvais

Twins Nia and Jay have unique differences about them. Twins are supposed to look similar, if not just alike. However, Nia has dark skin and dark hair, and Jay has light skin and blonde hair. The story is told from Jay and Nia's point of view, and they share their experiences of looking different from each other. In the end, they both learn to love their differences and heritage. The true beauty of this book is in the language. The characters use imaginative descriptions to describe themselves. "I am mixed with all kinds of goodies like chocolate chunks and marshmallow delights." The illustrations are also beautifully done in vivid colors which add to the text. This story of Jay and Nia echoes themes of pride and heritage. This is more than just a book about mixed races, it is s a celebration of diversity and self-esteem. ( )
  JanaeCamardelle | Mar 2, 2016 |
I Am Mixed is a trade book about two siblings who are mixed and the benefits of being mixed. The illustrations in I Am Mixed is colorful and detailed. Just like the title of the book the illustrations mix well with each other. Teachers can use this book in the classroom by teaching the purpose of mix cultures. My interpretation of this book is that people should embrace mixed people and see the benefits of it. ( )
  s.vang | Nov 28, 2015 |

Jay and Nia are the children of two worlds, and as they will discover, they can enjoy the best of both. From Mommy's jazz beats to Daddy's classical piano, we will dance with the twins through a book that explores what it is to be of mixed ancestry, proving that a child is more than the sum of their parents.

Created to be socially and environmentally conscious, I AM MIXED is printed on 100% recycled paper.

"I Am Mixed is an invaluable teaching tool that all children from all races can learn from." - HALLE BERRY (from her foreword)

"My son, as well as all of his friends, are mixed and they don't know any different. I don't know who this book is better for, the children of this generation or their parents. This book is a wonderful celebration of the beauty of coming from mixed ethnicities and cultures!" - JAIME PRESSLY (My Name is Earl)

"Such a cute book with great illustrations and a sweet message." - HEIDI KLUM (America's Got Talent)

"As a mother of a mixed-race child, I hope my daughter grows up to be proud of who she is and what makes her unique. I Am Mixed is a beautiful, sweet story that encourages children to look within themselves and appreciate the distinct heritage that makes each person special. It reminds us that our diverse cultures and traditions are things that should be honored and treasured." - LAURA LING

Some of my favorite books as a kid were the Giving Tree and Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain. This is right there with those. Really. No tissue stuffing. It's beautifully illustrated and sincere. Well done Stranger Kids." - AFUA RICHARDSON (Top Cow Comics)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:44 -0400)

"Jay and Nia are the children of two worlds, and as they'll discover, they can enjoy the best of both. From Mommy's jazz beats to Daddy's classical piano, we will dance with the twins through a book that explores what it is to be of mixed ancestry, proving that a child is more than the sum of their parents." -- Publisher description… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible