Have You Seen My Dragon? by Steve Light

Have You Seen My Dragon?

by Steve Light

I liked this book. Each page is drawn in black and white with one color to emphasize the text. On the top right hand corner is the amount of colored objects on each page. For example, one page reads, "Has my dragon been here to visit the monkeys?" There are 6 monkeys colored in brown while the rest of the page is black and white. On the top right hand corner says, "6 Monkeys." Each page is like that with a different object (hot dogs, manhole covers, fire hydrants, etc). The main idea of this book is a combination of teaching to count to 20 and a focus on the things you may end up seeing in any big city. ( )
  mdelga3 | Apr 5, 2017 |
I like the black and white drawings with the brightly colored things-to-count. But I'm rather disappointed that for the benefit of non-New Yorkers the places pictured aren't identified. So, kind of a wash.

Library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
Have You Seen My Dragon? is a children's book that teaches counting while providing a fun, fantasy-filled story. This book uses the power of color to grab the attention of the children and help them see exactly what they need to count. At the same time, by making the surrounding objects and people white with a black outline, the author makes it a little bit more of a challenge to actually spot the dragon in each picture- and he is in each picture. Either way, this book is highly interactive and provides teachers with multiple ways to use this book in a classroom setting. Just reading through it, I realized I could focus on the counting, the actual story of finding the dragon, or even naming the colors! The possibilities are endless! ( )
1 vote Jacki_H | Sep 23, 2016 |
Have you seen my dragon?!?!

A young boy is in search of his dragon that he can not seem to find, anywhere! He checks with the hot dog man, who serves him two hot dogs.He checks the buses, there are three of them by the way. He looks on the sail boat, four happen to be sailing at the time; and he checks all the places that he thought his dragon could be. Counting from one dragon to twenty lanterns, the author provides the reader with black and white pictures and objects colored in bright colors for counting purposes. Also, the number of highlighted objects is located in the right corner of each page. Sending children on the search for the missing dragon while learning how to count at the same time is what makes this book notable! Children are given the number (top right of the page) and then they are expected to count to be sure that the number is correct. From hotdogs to skyscrapers, children will solve the mystery of the missing dragon by counting their way through the book form number 1-20. I really enjoyed this book and honestly it was not what I was expecting. My thought was that there would be a story behind the missing dragon rather than counting your way to the missing dragon. Unexpected and lively, children will adore this book just as much as I did! ( )
1 vote mkb027 | Sep 7, 2016 |
A wonderful counting book (from 1 to 20) set in New York City. Coming fresh from a visit to the city, the pictures won my heart. Got this for my fairy-goddaughter. I wish I'd drawing this book.

Tags: 2016-read, i-liked-the-pictures, kids-of-most-ages, places-i-have-been, read ( )
  bookczuk | Jun 17, 2016 |

In the heart of the city, among the taxis and towers, a small boy travels uptown and down, searching for his friend. Readers will certainly spot the glorious beast, plus an array of big-city icons they can count. Is the dragon taking the crosstown bus, or breathing his fiery breath below a busy street? Maybe he took a taxi to the zoo or is playing with the dogs in the park.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,852,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible