Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna…

Still Life with Bread Crumbs

by Anna Quindlen

I just plain LIKE the way Quindlen writes. The story makes a nice circle and at the end there is an epilogue of sorts to let you know what happens "next" in the lives of the characters. Very fast readability. ( )
  nyiper | Jan 26, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed Still Life With Breadcrumbs, although as a longtime reader of Anna Quindlen's, this one wasn't quite as good as some of her other books. I think my problem with the book was that at times it seemed like chick lit for the late middle-age set, and that wasn't quite what I expected from Quindlen. ( )
  Kasthu | Jan 7, 2015 |
A love story but one with many hidden depths and nuances. Some lovely passages about a woman coming to terms with major life changes. ( )
  Anne_Green | Jan 7, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed the setting and the quirkiness of the characters. Wonderful writing as always from Anna Quindlen. This story just lacked the depth for me to really enjoy it. ( )
  Kmccon | Jan 6, 2015 |
This was a predictable but enjoyable read. Quindlen writes beautifully. I enjoyed the descriptions of the main character's struggles with finding meaning at the current point in her life (a 3/4-life crisis, perhaps). The book ended much too nicely tied up in perfect bows for each character. ( )
  kimreadthis | Dec 30, 2014 |
And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so?  I did.  And what did you want?  To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth. -- Raymond Carver
For all the teachers who helped make my work possible -- and for my favorite teacher, Theresa Quindlen.
A few minutes after two in the morning Rebecca Winter woke to the sound of a gunshot and sat up in bed.

Still Life with Bread Crumbs begins with an imagined gunshot and ends with a new tin roof. Between the two is a wry and knowing portrait of Rebecca Winter, a photographer whose work made her an unlikely heroine for many women. Her career is now descendent, her bank balance shaky, and she has fled the city for the middle of nowhere. There she discovers, in a tree stand with a roofer named Jim Bates, what she sees through a camera lens is not all there is to life.
Brilliantly written, powerfully observed, Still Life with Bread Crumbs is a deeply moving and often very funny story of unexpected love, and the stunningly crafted journey into the life of a woman, her heart, her mind, and her days, as she discovers that life is a story with many levels, a story that is longer and more exciting than she ever imagined.

Moving to a small country cabin, a once world-famous photographer bonds with a local man and begins to see the world around her in new, deeper dimensions while evaluating second chances at love, career, and self-understanding.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,067,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible