Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna…

Still Life with Bread Crumbs

by Anna Quindlen

Rebecca Winter is a photographer whose work made her an unlikely heroine for many women. Now, with her career descendent and her finances shaky, she has fled the city for the middle of nowhere. There she discovers, in a tree stand with a roofer named Jim Bates, that what she sees through a camera lens is not all there is to the world. ( )
  jepeters333 | Apr 15, 2015 |
I liked it. Good characters (even the dog) interesting shifts and relations between titles let alone between characters. A good story unfolding. Yes. ( )
1 vote bookczuk | Mar 31, 2015 |
I really, really enjoyed this book. The main character is an older woman who is a photographer :) All the characters were well developed. It's basically a story about starting over, about reevaluating your life. I loved the following lines from the book so much that I actually underlined them: "Then when she really thought about it she realized she'd been becoming different people for as long as she could remember, but had never really noticed, or had put it down to moods, or marriage, or motherhood. The problem was that she thought that at a certain point she would be a finished product. Now she wasn't sure what that might be, especially when she considered how sure she had been about it at various times in the past, and how wrong she had been."
This is a cozy read & I highly recommend it. ( )
  michele.juza | Feb 25, 2015 |
This author's ability to mesmerize have faded since her startling "Black and Blue", an amazingly frightening novel of domestic violence. Here, a photographer whose reputation has faded retreats to upstate NY while renting out her NYC abode. Not unexpectedly, her career is revived when she meets a manly, handsome, much younger roofer.

This middle age, upper class fantasy of returning to the land to rediscover one's self is now unofficially the oldest trope on the planet. Where do they grow these men, and can a woman reserve one in advance, and do they come as a perk with your stay at a yoga retreat? This is silly stuff from a writer who has either run out of ideas or gotten lazy, sorry to say. I will still give Quindlen's next one a try because she is, or was, such a fine writer. ( )
  froxgirl | Jan 28, 2015 |
I just plain LIKE the way Quindlen writes. The story makes a nice circle and at the end there is an epilogue of sorts to let you know what happens "next" in the lives of the characters. Very fast readability. ( )
  nyiper | Jan 26, 2015 |
And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so?  I did.  And what did you want?  To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth. — Raymond Carver
For all the teachers who helped make my work possible — and for my favorite teacher, Theresa Quindlen.
A few minutes after two in the morning Rebecca Winter woke to the sound of a gunshot and sat up in bed.

Still Life with Bread Crumbs begins with an imagined gunshot and ends with a new tin roof. Between the two is a wry and knowing portrait of Rebecca Winter, a photographer whose work made her an unlikely heroine for many women. Her career is now descendent, her bank balance shaky, and she has fled the city for the middle of nowhere. There she discovers, in a tree stand with a roofer named Jim Bates, what she sees through a camera lens is not all there is to life.
Brilliantly written, powerfully observed, Still Life with Bread Crumbs is a deeply moving and often very funny story of unexpected love, and the stunningly crafted journey into the life of a woman, her heart, her mind, and her days, as she discovers that life is a story with many levels, a story that is longer and more exciting than she ever imagined.

Moving to a small country cabin, a once world-famous photographer bonds with a local man and begins to see the world around her in new, deeper dimensions while evaluating second chances at love, career, and self-understanding.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,829,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible