Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna…

Still Life with Bread Crumbs

by Anna Quindlen

Loved this book! The story of Rebecca Winter, once a noted photographer hailed as spokesperson for many women for her series "Still Life with Bread Crumbs", who at age sixty moves to a cottage in the country to save money and through new friendships and environmental challenges rediscovers herself and her art. ( )
  CarterPJ | Aug 25, 2014 |
***Giveaway***
What a poetic work of art. It moved me in ways a book hasn't in a long while. Anna Quindlen is talented and it shows in "Still life with Breadcrumbs" ( )
  nubian_princesa | Aug 23, 2014 |
A person's life is always changing. ( )
  read4thefunofit | Aug 15, 2014 |
Enjoyed this novel of a once-famous artist who struggles to make ends meet, moves to a shack in the country, finds a good guy, then reclaims her career. ( )
  pdepena | Jul 25, 2014 |
I really enjoyed Rebecca’s story. At age 60, her life is in transition. She’s moved from the hustle and bustle of city life into a modest cottage on the outskirts of a small town. Rebecca has made a name for herself with her photographic collection called the “Kitchen Counter Series,” but years later, her fame is beginning to pass. She now finds herself in a reversal of fortune with less income and more bills and responsibilities piled on. Unlike what others may think, she hasn’t moved to the country for artistic inspiration but because it is financially necessary. For her the change in setting and circumstances is dramatic, but it also gives Rebecca the opportunity to slow down and really reflect upon her past failures and successes.

Rebecca is a woman who thinks her life has already been defined and she has grown stagnant. Through her journey she learns to break out of the box that she and everyone around her has placed her in. Our lives do not move in a linear direction, where we find one career and stay with it, we find love once, and that’s it. No, life is full of twists and turns, but if we can embrace these unexpected detours and open ourselves up to change, then new, exciting, paths await us.

Quinlan has written a powerful, poignant, beautifully moving love story about transition, loss, adaptation, and change. The story moves slowly but it’s an excellent read! ( )
  Sunmtn | Jul 20, 2014 |
And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so?  I did.  And what did you want?  To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth. -- Raymond Carver
For all the teachers who helped make my work possible -- and for my favorite teacher, Theresa Quindlen.
A few minutes after two in the morning Rebecca Winter woke to the sound of a gunshot and sat up in bed.

Still Life with Bread Crumbs begins with an imagined gunshot and ends with a new tin roof. Between the two is a wry and knowing portrait of Rebecca Winter, a photographer whose work made her an unlikely heroine for many women. Her career is now descendent, her bank balance shaky, and she has fled the city for the middle of nowhere. There she discovers, in a tree stand with a roofer named Jim Bates, what she sees through a camera lens is not all there is to life.
Brilliantly written, powerfully observed, Still Life with Bread Crumbs is a deeply moving and often very funny story of unexpected love, and the stunningly crafted journey into the life of a woman, her heart, her mind, and her days, as she discovers that life is a story with many levels, a story that is longer and more exciting than she ever imagined.

Moving to a small country cabin, a once world-famous photographer bonds with a local man and begins to see the world around her in new, deeper dimensions while evaluating second chances at love, career, and self-understanding.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,322,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible