Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna…

Still Life with Bread Crumbs

by Anna Quindlen

Good story. ( )
  TanyaTomato | Nov 25, 2014 |
Some wonderful clips of descriptive paragraphs. However, the voice is confusing, point of view is scattered, as is the point in time from one sentence/paragraph to the next. Moderately interesting, but I didn't learn much at all from this work. ( )
  nggray | Oct 31, 2014 |
Still Life With Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen; (4*)

This is a story of second chances and the chances arrive when they are most needed. Rebecca Winter's life has taken a nose dive from being a well off and famous photographer to a has been with no money in her bank account and the bills keep piling up.
Rebecca decides to rent out her New York City apartment and rent a cottage in the middle of the woods which is not beautiful by any means but its location outside a small town changes her life.
This small town has its share of quirky character's. MO MO the clown (Tad), the owner of the tea room (Sarah), and the roofer Jim Bates become her friends. Each one of these characters become entertwined with Rebecca's second chance and magic happens to them along with lonely stray dog who comes to stay.
Rebecca takes the dog and goes for long walks in the woods every day. And every day she comes upon something that she wants to photograph. Soon she is as ever driven as that photographer she once was in New York, but different. People are as taken by her new photographs as they once were with her collections. But she is not taking these photos for the money or for her fans. She is taking them for herself. However, here again, magic happens.
And it isn't often that you get to read a novel with the protagonist in her 60s. Younger people always think that they will have life figured out by the time they reach this age. This novel shows that women at that age are still struggling to be what and who they want to be.
Though I am a huge Quindlen fan I didn't expect to enjoy this particular book of hers. I loved her One True Thing and this one couldn't be any more different from that one if she had planned it that way. But surprisingly I found myself really enjoying this read for what it was. ( )
3 vote rainpebble | Oct 28, 2014 |
Loved this book! The story of Rebecca Winter, once a noted photographer hailed as spokesperson for many women for her series "Still Life with Bread Crumbs", who at age sixty moves to a cottage in the country to save money and through new friendships and environmental challenges rediscovers herself and her art. ( )
  CarterPJ | Aug 25, 2014 |
***Giveaway***
What a poetic work of art. It moved me in ways a book hasn't in a long while. Anna Quindlen is talented and it shows in "Still life with Breadcrumbs" ( )
  nubian_princesa | Aug 23, 2014 |
And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so?  I did.  And what did you want?  To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth. -- Raymond Carver
For all the teachers who helped make my work possible -- and for my favorite teacher, Theresa Quindlen.
A few minutes after two in the morning Rebecca Winter woke to the sound of a gunshot and sat up in bed.

Still Life with Bread Crumbs begins with an imagined gunshot and ends with a new tin roof. Between the two is a wry and knowing portrait of Rebecca Winter, a photographer whose work made her an unlikely heroine for many women. Her career is now descendent, her bank balance shaky, and she has fled the city for the middle of nowhere. There she discovers, in a tree stand with a roofer named Jim Bates, what she sees through a camera lens is not all there is to life.
Brilliantly written, powerfully observed, Still Life with Bread Crumbs is a deeply moving and often very funny story of unexpected love, and the stunningly crafted journey into the life of a woman, her heart, her mind, and her days, as she discovers that life is a story with many levels, a story that is longer and more exciting than she ever imagined.

Moving to a small country cabin, a once world-famous photographer bonds with a local man and begins to see the world around her in new, deeper dimensions while evaluating second chances at love, career, and self-understanding.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,038,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible