Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi…

Just One Damned Thing After Another (2013)

by Jodi Taylor

Series: The Chronicles of St Mary's (1)

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (majkia)
    The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman (passion4reading)
    passion4reading: Does for librarians what The Chronicles of St Mary's series achieves for historians.

I loved this. I love history, geeking out, time travel. And stories about multiple and varied relationships. Also Love snarky British humor. I'm definitely reading the next one, and if all the reviews are any indicator, the next and the next and the next. I think the original cover (this one) is confusing about what the Book is like, so the audio cover is better. Definitely for DR. Who fans. Possibly for Connie Willis fans though they may balk a bit that there is actually character development instead of truly just event after event. Title is pretty damned true; if this book sounds like it might be for you, make sure you have time to be hooked because you won't be able to put it down. Enjoy!!!

Update: I loved them all, every single one. Flipped out about them. ( )
  sydsavvy | Sep 5, 2017 |
This is the first book in a series called The Chronicles of St. Mary’s which follows a group of historians as they travel through time and enjoy a cup of tea upon their return. Their job is to chronicle the past in the most accurate way, by observing it in person. The main character, Dr. Madeline Maxwell, known as Max, is incredibly brilliant and has a wonderful sense of humor. She has something dark in her past but it doesn't seem to have affected the woman she's grown into.

The story builds in a nice way with short trips to Troy and plague infested London before going back to the Cretaceous Period, which was very vividly written and one of my favorite sections. I liked that there was little scientific explanation for the time travel devices, because the author admits she made it all up. You will be drawn into the adventures of this reckless crew as they throw caution to the winds to accomplish their missions.

I found this to be one of the most entertaining books I've read all year. I was sorry when it ended and have already picked up a couple more in this series. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
Amazing story, I can't wait to read the rest of the series. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
Just One Damn Thing After Another - Taylor
Audio performance by Zara Ramm
4 stars

This is book one in Jodi Taylor’s Chronicles of St. Mary’s series. The inmates of the historical St. Mary’s abbey are historians who ‘investigate history in contemporary time’. It’s time travel with non-stop action, sarcasm, humor, and endless near disasters. It reminded me of Jasper Fforde’s Thursday Next series with historical adventures replacing literary settings. In this book the intrepid heroine, Dr. Madeline Maxwell, bounces from a WW1 casualty hospital to the Cretaceous Period, and finally to the Great Library of Alexandria. I enjoyed the comradery of the good guys. There’s actually some interesting history tucked in with the silliness and the fights against the forces of evil. This is book candy. It goes down very easily and leaves me wanting more. ( )
  msjudy | Apr 20, 2017 |
I was in the perfect mood for this book. I've always enjoyed a good time travel tale, and when Max started walking through the venerable halls of St. Mary's and seeing signs labeled "Blast Doors" and "To Sick Bay," I knew I was going to have fun. And this is the major purpose of Jodi Taylor's book-- to have fun.

To those readers who like plausible explanations and tons of science and techno-speak, you're going to have to look elsewhere. In her acknowledgements, Taylor says, "I made all this up. Historians and physicists-- please do not spit on me in the street." I found Just One Damned Thing After Another to be filled with wit and laugh-out-loud moments. Taylor sets some very simple ground rules for her notion of time travel, and her wonderful character, Madeleine Maxwell, chews through every bit of the scenery with total aplomb. Here's how Max feels about time and punctuality:

"Time is important in our organization. If you can't even get to an appointment in your own building on time, they argue, you're not going to have much luck trying to find the Battle of Hastings."

If you're in the mood for something with an intriguing premise and an entertaining mystery, something that's light and loads of fun, you may just enjoy this first Chronicles of St. Mary's book as much as I did. It won't take me long to sample another! ( )
  cathyskye | Feb 22, 2017 |

Jodi Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ramm, ZaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"History is just one damned thing after another"

Arnold Toynbee
There have been two moments in my life.

“History is just one damned thing after another” - Arnold Toynbee

A madcap new slant on history that seems to be everyone's cup of tea...

Behind the seemingly innocuous façade of St Mary's, a different kind of historical research is taking place. They don't do 'time-travel' - they 'investigate major historical events in contemporary time'. Maintaining the appearance of harmless eccentrics is not always within their power - especially given their propensity for causing loud explosions when things get too quiet.

Meet the disaster-magnets of St Mary's Institute of Historical Research as they ricochet around History. Their aim is to observe and document - to try and find the answers to many of History's unanswered questions...and not to die in the process.

But one wrong move and History will fight back - to the death. And, as they soon discover - it's not just History they're fighting.

Follow the catastrophe curve from eleventh-century London to World War I, and from the Cretaceous Period to the destruction of the Great Library at Alexandria. For wherever Historians go, chaos is sure to follow in their wake … [retrieved 2/13/2016 from Amazon.com]
Conducting research
in contemporary time –
it's not time travel.
(passion4reading)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,488,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible