Glass of Blessings: A Novel by Barbara Pym

Glass of Blessings: A Novel (original 1958; edition 2008)

by Barbara Pym

7472618,729 (3.93)1 / 139
Member:aarti
Title:Glass of Blessings: A Novel
Authors:Barbara Pym
Info:Moyer Bell and its subsidiaries (2008), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Publisher, ARC, E-Book, 2013, England, 20th Century, Family, Humor

A Glass of Blessings by Barbara Pym (1958)

English (25)  Spanish (1)  All languages (26)
I don't know why this took me so long to finish. I did enjoy it. I was able to appreciate it more when I had time to read it consistently. Interesting character study. Nice relaxed cozy book. ( )
  njcur | Nov 29, 2018 |
I have a print copy of this book that is quite old, and I know I've read it before, but I remembered nothing. What a marvelous book.

This is a brilliant, insightful author writing the story of a shallow but likeable protagonist. It's a fascinating combination. It's a comedy of manners and it is domestic fiction of a sort, in that nothing out of the ordinary happens to our very ordinary cast of characters. But so much that is worth knowing happens to them. And it is so subversive. A homosexual couple treated as essentially ordinary. An older, plain spinster marrying a younger, handsome clergyman without (much) condescension from her friends and acquaintances (and none from the author).

It's a lovely, incisive, sympathetic novel.. ( )
  Sunita_p | Mar 13, 2017 |
Wilmet Forsyth is a handsome, well-off woman with a boring husband and a boring life. She seeks to fill her days with mild flirtations and church work, but it’s clearly an empty life. Luckily, Wilmet is so narrow-minded and unimaginative that this doesn’t bother her as much as it might the reader. Wilmet is one of Pym’s least likeable heroines, and the story, told through her sharp but staid eyes, never becomes anything more than a snapshot of 1950s England. It’s fascinating from a historical point of view, though. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this Pym novel; I think it would rank up near the top of the five I've read. It's the story of Wilmet, a 30-something childless married woman, who is a bit more worldy and irreverent than the typical main characters in Pym's novels. She has plenty of money and dresses well. She loves her husband but is rather bored. She re-meets the brother of one of her best friends and begins a flirtation with him, meeting him for lunch a few times over a summer. This story is balanced with her involvement with the members of her local church, who all have stories of their own.

I very much enjoyed reading this. Pym's books are quiet and relatively uneventful, but they always have fun characters and a little insight into the lives of ordinary people. ( )
  japaul22 | Nov 28, 2015 |
This tongue-in-cheek look at 1950's society in England was fun to read. Wilmet Forsyth is an elegant, self absorbed young woman, married to a handsome Major in the Ministry. She becomes rather bored with her life, and starts becoming involved in her church... or trying to. She fancies herself attracted to a handsome young man who is her friend's brother. All innocent, but amusing fun.

Read August 2014 ( )
  NanaCC | Jul 26, 2015 |

Barbara Pymprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bayley, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ford, JessieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuman, JackieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tomlinson, PatienceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When God at first made man,
Having a glasse of blessings standing by;
Let us (and he) poure on him all we can
Let the world's riches, which dispersed lie,
Contract into a span.
GEORGE HERBERT: The Pulley
I suppose it must have been the shock of hearing the telephone ring, apparently in the church, that made me turn my head and see Piers Longridge in one of the side aisles behind me.
When I was a young teacher in the Oxford University English Department I used to visit in the summer holiday - the long vac as it is called - the small public library in the village where my parents were living to see if I could find something light and entertaining to offset my dutiful daily struggles with Beowulf and Paradise Lost. (Introduction)

Wilmot Forsyth is well dressed, well looked after, suitably husbanded, good-looking and fairly young - but very bored. Her sober husband Rodney, who works at the Ministry, is slightly balder and fatter than he once was. Wilmot would like to think she has changed rather less. Her interest wanders to the nearby church, where she can neglect her comfortable household in the more serious-minded company of three unmarried priests, and, of course, Piers Longridge, a man of an unfathomably different character altogether.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060805501, Mass Market Paperback)

Well dressed and looked after, Wilmet is married to Rodney, a handsome army Major, working nine thirty to six at the Ministry. Wilmet's interest wanders to the nearby Anglo-Catholic church, where at last she can neglect her comfortable household in the company of three priests and Piers Longridge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

GENERAL & LITERARY FICTION. Wilmet Forsyth is well dressed, well looked after, suitably husbanded, good looking and fairly young - but very bored. Her husband Rodney, a handsome army major, is slightly balder and fatter than he once was. Wilmet would like to think she has changed rather less. Her interest wanders to the nearby Anglo-catholic church, where at last she can neglect her comfortable household in the more serious-minded company of three unmarried priests, and, of course, Piers Longridge, a man of an unfathomably different character altogether.… (more)

Legacy Library: Barbara Pym

Barbara Pym has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Barbara Pym's legacy profile.

See Barbara Pym's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,880,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible