The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick

The Good Luck of Right Now (edition 2014)

by Matthew Quick

5204328,430 (3.62)11
Member:Dawn_Mudore
Title:The Good Luck of Right Now
Authors:Matthew Quick
Info:Harper (2014), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick

English (42)  Spanish (1)  All languages (43)
I hated this book. First and foremost – the whole letters to Richard Gere thing was ridiculous, distracting and unnecessary, I think the story would have worked better in a diary format, but even then it would have sucked.

All the characters are completely two-dimensional and irritating, but by far the most irritating had to be Max whose only two character traits are liking cats, and saying the word "fuck" in every sentence.

The plot (what little there is of it), is meandering and nonsensical; it seems kind of like Matthew Quick set out a novel about grief, then after setting up the plot decided he didn't want to write about grief after all, and instead turned into a weird musing on the differences between Catholicism and Buddhism, with a couple of sidetracks about "saving" abused women. If the main point of tension was supposed to be discovering who Bartholomew's father is then that was an epic fail, because it's obvious from about the second chapter that it's Father McNamee.

The main problems Bartholomew faces in his life following his mum's death are how to cope with his grief, how to support himself, and how to find someone to share his life with – literally not one of these issues is dealt with in this novel. Bartholomew doesn't appear to experience any grief over the loss of his mother, aside from a couple of dreams about her, and so does not have to deal with finding ways to cope. The issue of finding a job is brushed off in the last couple of pages with "oh by the way I have a job now! But don't worry I don't actually need one because luckily an anonymous millionaire is funding not only my life, but the lives of my two mentally unstable friends for no reason whatsoever, how convenient!". As for the romance issue, from literally the first time she is described it's obvious that the "Girlbrarian" (barf), will end up with Bartholomew, and again, that is just neatly wrapped up in the book's final chapter. But he is The Hero, and so he must Get The Girl, regardless of the fact that she doesn't really express any interest in him, they don't have any chemistry or seem to have anything in common. She isn't even put off by the fact that he has been creepily watching her at her place of work for years! The fact that she is a rape victim seems to have been added to her backstory just to emphasise how noble and goodhearted Bartholomew is, and so that he can "rescue" and "fix" her. What a great guy!

Seriously, fuck this book. ( )
  plumtingz | Dec 14, 2017 |
Bartholomew Neil's world has centered on his mother for 38 years. When she dies suddenly, Bartholomew is left alone to try to figure out what to do with his life. When he finds a form letter from Richard Gere in his mother's dresser, he begins to write very detailed and intimate letters to the actor about his life. We follow along as Bartholomew struggles to make sense of the world and his place in it. He has no friends or family to fall back on, so he must find a way to create his own connections. Filled with odd twists, turns, and coincidences, this is an emotional journey of discovery. With an odd set of companions, an ex-priest, a foul-mouthed therapy partner, and the Girlbrarian, Bartholomew will search for friendship, family, and a future of his own.

Bettina P. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
This was an interesting story told in letters that were written by a 38-year-old man who still lives at home with his mother and who pretends to be Richard Gere in order to calm her during her last days of dementia ridden cancer. In addition to pretending to be him for his mother, he also writes him to explain what he is doing. During the course of the novel it becomes evident that our protagonist named Bartholomew Neil has some mental health issues and struggles to succeed in life. All he has ever done is take care of his mom. When his mother dies, he finds it confusing that his parish priest has decided to defrock himself from the Catholic Church and move in with Bartholomew. We see through his summaries of his therapy sessions that his life goal is to have an age-appropriate friend and have a drink in a bar. This is accomplished when he meets Max. Max also has some mental health issues and can't complete a sentence without using the word f...ing the middle of every other word. Max has a sister named Elizabeth but whom Bartholomew has coined the girlbrarian. These four characters go on a journey of self discovery in order to try to meet Bartholomew's real dad and for Max to finally see cat Parliament. As I said, it's an enjoyable story with an interesting point of view. It would prompt me to look further into more of this author's work. ( )
  novelcommentary | Aug 15, 2017 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. Just a lovely story. Sad in places, but overall positive and uplifting. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
This was my first Matthew Quick novel. I had seen the movie, of course, that really made him famous. There is that same endearing quirkiness to this novel. I loved it. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |

When his mother dies, 38-year-old Bartholomew Neil, who doesn't know how to be on his own, discovers a letter in his mother's underwear drawer that causes him to write a series of highly intimate letters to actor Richard Gere, while embarking on a quest to find out where he belongs.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,872,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible