Andrew's Brain by E. L. Doctorow

Andrew's Brain (2014)

by E. L. Doctorow

English (90)  Dutch (1)  All languages (91)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I generally enjoy Doctorow, but I couldn't get into this book, though I tried several times. It is very disjointed, the main character is not likable, and the plot (such as it is) is based on a series of unpleasant events. I appreciate dystopian books, but this one didn't do it for me. ( )
  Fogcityite | May 22, 2015 |
I received this book for free as part of a first reads promotion ( )
  lilnursesuhy | Mar 4, 2015 |
I listened to this book while doing some craft projects. I had read many reviews about this book when it first came out. I have mixed emotions towards this book because it skipped from one subject to the next sibject to fast for me to keep up. I did like the emotions Andrew had towards the other characters. Once I got used to the fast changes of subject, I enjoyed the story a lot more. This book did make me stop and reflect on my own life. I am giving it a middle rating because the author left to many loose ends. ( )
  BrendaKlaassen | Jan 27, 2015 |
Outstanding book, needed 4 readings! ( )
  rhactor | Dec 31, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through the early reviewers program, but only just got around to reading it this week. I'm really not sure what to make of it. I've read Ragtime and liked it, so I was expecting something similar from E.L. Doctorow. However, this is a very different book. Instead of a cast of characters, this book tells the story of just one: Andrew, a cognitive scientist. He recounts a difficult life in which he accidentally poisoned his young daughter, got divorced, lost his second wife on 9-11, and ends up working for the President. It's difficult to know which of these things are true. My best guess is that Andrew is a psych patient who has made up most of this story. Unfortunately, the truth is never revealed, which makes the book a very unrewarding read. I'm not sure if Andrew has a psychiatric illness or is just a weird, unlucky guy, but either way I didn't really like him all that much. ( )
  ahegge | Nov 25, 2014 |
To

M.
I can tell you about my friend Andrew, the cognitive scientist.

A psychological tale recounts the experiences of Andrew, who confesses to an unknown recipient the memory- and truth-challenging events, loves, and tragedies that have led him to a mysterious act.

48 wanted3 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Andrew's Brain by E. L. Doctorow was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,908,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible