The Queen's Choice by Cayla Kluver

The Queen's Choice

by Cayla Kluver

* (2) 2014 (2) ARC (2) currently-reading (2) dnf (2) faeries (2) fail (1) fantasy (4) fiction (4) first in series (1) for-review (1) Harlequin (1) heirs (1) journey (1) kids (1) kingdoms (1) library (1) netgalley (4) ng-ew-books (2) own (2) queens (1) royal courts (1) royalty (1) series (3) teen (2) to-read (25) wishlist-nyp (2) YA (3) YA fantasy (2) young adult (4)

DNF Review

While reading The Queen's Choice, a recurring thought would implant itself in my brain every five seconds: "How was this even published?"

Yes, it was that intolerable. Not to say that the book was necessarily bad, I just cannot imagine someone who is a fan of fantasy enjoying this (i.e. me). There was far too much worldbuilding and little plot development. Up until the point I read, the book seemed like an extended version of traveling scenes in Graceling. In other words, it was needlessly long-winded.

I admit the writing was surprisingly good; however, the rest of the book's aspects just didn't cut it. ( )
  Summer_Missfictional | May 23, 2014 |
The Queen's Choice was an intriguing fantasy that explores a world where the human and fey races are at odds. Years ago there was such a terrible war that the fey closed themselves off from the world by means of a barrier called The Bloody Road that will kill any creature that attempts to cross unless they are fey.

Anya is a young member of the royal family who loves traveling in the human world and her aunt who is the Queen I believed the two races should live I peace. Of course there are many on both sides who don't agree and there is a lot of hate going both ways. But when Anya is chosen to be the Queen's heir she rushes back into the human world in attempt to find the Queen's estranged son so he can take his place as heir instead. Tragedy quickly befalls her and this first book in the Heirs of Chrior series follows Anya's travels to find her half-human cousin Zabriel.

A bloody eye for a bloody eye!
A particular fey that runs a halfway house for fey who have suffered from hate crimes makes a very insightful comment that I think could apply to anyone that has ever been a victim in life. Essentially that we think that hurting those people that have hurt us will make us feel better, or maybe even fix us, but all it gives is a temporary reprieve. She says it so much more eloquently than I but alas I can't find the quote right now.

This'll be the long road then...
While I definitely enjoyed The Queen's Choice and found the world building intriguing I couldn't help but wish things were sped up considerably. This might not be the most appealing comparison when I say it read a bit like a slow song record with a disc jokey that would throw in the occasional scratch to make things upbeat for a few pages then things would mellow out again. Also, there were a handful of flashback scenes that really, I could have done without. On a few I liked the info given but ultimately they didn't serve to connect me any closer to the characters.

She's definitely got your back!
An excellent showing in this book is the character and relationship development that we get between Anya and Shea. They had some really good friend chemistry. Most young adult books focus so heavily on romance that friendships and anything to do with them always seem shunted to the side to me. Not here at all. If anything the romance aspects aren't of much importance at all (if almost not there even) and the family and friend ties are what count. Oh yes, you can definitely expect quite a bit of messed up family problems.

While I certainly had some issues with the pacing I still enjoyed the overall reading experience from The Queen's Choice and thinks its a promising starter to a unique fantasy world. ( )
  Pabkins | May 2, 2014 |
One of the things that Cayla Kluver does extremely well is write a fun fantasy story that appeals to teenagers and adults alike. I feel in love with Cayla's strong female characters, interesting quest story lines, and fun world building first in her book Legacy, and I was sad when the trilogy ended. Imagine the sheer joy I felt when I saw that she was starting yet another series and, once again, I began to read and fell in love with The Queen's Choice.

Read the rest of this review at The Lost Entwife on Jan. 16, 2014. ( )
  TheLostEntwife | Jan 14, 2014 |
Having really enjoyed Cayla Kluver’s Legacy trilogy, I was really curious about The Queen’s Choice. Still, I was hesitant. Faeries aren’t really my fantasy creature of choice and it sounded like it would be a paranormal romance, which tends to end poorly for me quite often. That The Queen’s Choice surprised me is an understatement. This is fantasy, straight up and jam-packed with world building. Kluver’s The Queen’s Choice takes a long time to find its stride, but the shocking ending has me ready for more.

Read the full review at A Reader of Fictions. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Jan 6, 2014 |

With her aunt, the Queen of the Faerie Kingdom of Chrior, dying, Anya travels to the human world to find Prince Zabriel, who she feels is the only one who can save the kingdom.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,905,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible