Unbound by Jim C. Hines

Unbound

by Jim C. Hines

Series: Magic Ex Libris (3)

Not as interesting as the previous two. ( )
  capiam1234 | Feb 23, 2016 |

I enjoyed the book. It's written by a genuinely nice guy, it's about librarians, books and nerdery. This presses all the right buttons.

For me the book also had two conflicting issues. It does not nearly go into enough detail on all the wonderful monsters and other magics pulled out of the books and it does not nearly have enough of them. I know that's unfair to Hines, but I am under no obligation to be fair.

The book is better than its predecessor, but it lacks the freshness of the first of the series. It also suffered a bit from being read after Ready Player One, a book that in many ways does the same thing but packs a more emotional wallop.

I am hoping this series will go the way of the Dresden books, where the quality will keep on improving book by book.

StigE | Sep 15, 2015 |
I really enjoyed Unbound because Hines didn't use a convenient loophole to give Isaac his magic back. That right there made it clear that there would be real consequences and wow was there ever! I've grown to really love these layered characters and the world they live in. The magic got REALLY cool and I can't wait to find out what happens next. ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
This is the third book in the series. I have to say it is the weakest of the three, but was still an enjoyable read. How can I not like a book that is about a librarian and books! ( )
  JJbooklvr | Mar 17, 2015 |
Isaac is in a difficult place – his magic bound by Gutenberg, he has suffered a terrible loss. Without his magic he is helpless but he is determined to try and find Jeneta, especially as the Porters are far more distracted by the Followers of Bi Sheng who have exposed them – and magic – to the world.

Meridiana, an ancient threat that has been long imprisoned, is using Jeneta to her own ends – the conquest and domination of the whole world with the aid of her Ghost Army. It’s a terrible threat to face with not even a scrap of power left to him

I have always loved this world on many levels. Of course, there’s the sheer imagination of it – the concept of magic drawn from books, the many creatures of mythology that both exist in the world and have also been drawn from books to create a near infinite pantheon from which to draw. I love the concept. I also really love the geeky shout outs – this series is a great big revel in genre fiction, full of references to books that so many readers will know and love. It’s an homage, it’s a celebration and in the middle of it is Isaac who is every bit as geeky and adoring of literature as we are. I love it.

I also like how the world has developed. In part we have the Ghost Army as antagonists – but their depiction is also woven into the world in general, suggesting old magical practices have had to alter and die because of the effect of the ghosts. It’s a personal taste thing but I love it when elements of a story have clearly shaped the world and we don’t have a plot that sits clumsily on top of the world.

There’s also a major change in this book – magic is being exposed, step by step. It’s not done in a major way and the main characters are definitely more distracted by other things happening – but its growling and we get blog posts, articles and news reports covering so many different ramifications of magic being revealed. We have laws being pushed to try and limit and restrict magic. We have author’s organisations suddenly realising they are responsible for producing devastating weapons and monsters with their works of fiction – what onus rests on an author who creates a weapon that can be pulled out of that book and used? And then there’s the realisation among many people that magic can perform miracles, cure devastating illnesses – which is definitely something to celebrate but also turns into the horrible question “well, why haven’t they?” If magicians could cure cancer but instead kept their magic secret, well that’s a terrible thing to absorb. Especially when magicians may be your closest family who let your loved ones suffer rather than use their magic to help. I think this is going to be a major element of the next book.

The nature of the big bad was also an interesting twist I liked.

On top of the world we have Isaac who I really like – and not just because of him being an avatar of all things geeky. He spends a large amount of the book completely powerless and spending most of it in the presence of Gutenberg and Juan De Ponce de Leon and even Lena who are all immensely powerful people. But Isaac’s true strength shows through – he’s intelligent, very imaginative and has a brilliant but easily distracted mind and he is very very well read. He is a librarian and that is his power. Towards the end of the book, that imagination is what powers him back to magic – and throws in a nice level of epic in the final confrontations which I always appreciate.

We also have a lot of diversity in the book – and most of them are interestingly written to bring out some nuance to the characters. I loved the constant presence of Nidhi, a South Asian bisexual or lesbian woman in the book. As a non-magical human she seems to be the one with the least impact in the story – but as a therapist the other characters are constantly turning to her for both support but also advice. They rely on her a lot to hear about the condition of those around them – because all of them have been through such extreme stress and loss and are facing such a huge threat that many of them are hurting and close to breaking. Nidhi is an expert and everyone treats her as such. There’s none of the fictional trope of contempt for the therapist or disregarding the psychiatrist’s opinions – her input is welcome, needed and valued. I also like the growing dynamic between her and Isaac.

Lena, a dryad, women of colour and a bisexual woman is a power house of physical capability; she’s strong, clever, crafty and is constantly defining herself. It’s that last that makes me really like her – she is a creation of the worst kind of pulp fiction, created to be nothing more than a sex toy. But she has constantly defined herself beyond that origin – made to please one person she then sets out to attach herself to two to give herself greater choice and agency. Then she writes her own story so she can define herself. Even bound to a tree, she finds a way to bring that tree with her. She is constantly redefining herself, moving beyond what she is and towards the person she wants to be.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jan 27, 2015 |

Jim C. Hinesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leigh, DeniseCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Amy, Skylar, and Jamie.
My name is Bi Wei.
Ted Boyer—hunter, fisherman, vampire, and general pain in my ass—was gone.

"For five hundred years, the Porters have concealed the existence of magic from the world. Now, old enemies have revealed the Porters' secrets, and an even greater threat lurks in the shadows. The would-be queen Meridiana, banished for a thousand years, has returned in the body of a girl named Jeneta Aboderin. She seeks an artifact created by Pope Sylvester II, a bronze prison that would grant her the power to command an army of the dead. Michigan librarian Isaac Vainio is powerless to stop her, having been stripped of his power and his place among the Porters by Johannes Gutenberg himself. But Isaac is determined to regain his magic and to rescue his former student Jeneta. With no magic of his own, Isaac must delve into the darker side of black-market magic, where he will confront beings better left undisturbed, including the sorcerer Juan Ponce de Leon. With his loyal fire-spider Smudge, dryad warrior Lena Greenwood, and psychiatrist Nidhi Shah, Isaac races to unravel a mystery more than a thousand years old as competing magical powers battle to shape the future of the world. He will be hunted by enemies and former allies alike, and it will take all his knowledge and resourcefulness to survive as magical war threatens to spread across the globe. Isaac's choices will determine the fate of his friends, the Porters, the students of Bi Sheng, and the world. Only one thing is certain: even if he finds a way to restore his magic, he can't save them all...."--Publisher's website.… (more)

Jim C. Hines is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,920,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible