Cross And Burn by Val Mcdermid

Cross And Burn (original 2013; edition 2014)

by Val Mcdermid

Member:verenka
Title:Cross And Burn
Authors:Val Mcdermid
Info:Little, Brown Book Group 2014-02-27.
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:read14, thriller, tony hill/carol jordan

Cross and Burn by Val McDermid (2013)

English (15)  French (1)  All languages (16)
I thought it would be time to finally read this book since I have been granted the latest Tony Hill & Carol Jordan book (Splinter the Silence) and it was great to return to where we left Tony and Carol in the last book. Well great is probably the wrong world since the catastrophically ending of the last book with deaths and Carol and Tony's relationship in tatters.

In this book is Carol trying to move on after a personal loss, she isn't working and she refuses to have anything to do with Tony. Tony meanwhile is struggling to go on with his life without Carol in it. But when Tony is suspected as a serial killer is it Carol that have to come to his rescue, she is still angry with him, but she knows he is innocent and out there is the real killer…

Cross and Burn is a really good suspenseful thriller and I was really happy to read about Tony Hill again since he is one of my favorite characters. I do hate to read about main characters being accused of something they haven't done and I must admit that I wasn't looking forward to reading about that. But I knew that would bring Carol back into Tony's life so I prevailed and was rewarded with a very good ending. One of my favorite parts of the book is Carol turning to one person she doesn't like, but she knows will help her getting Tony of the hook.

Now I'm looking forward to reading the next book! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
My first Val McDermid mystery thriller, and I was not disappointed. Coming in at at book #8 was not the easiest especially this one as the story was a continuation of the previous book. We join our leads in the aftermath of their last investigation, which was disastrous, to say the least. Carol Jordan has quit and taken off on her own and the others are rudderless. Most of the story is through the eyes of Paula McIntyre, who has joined a new team.
The dead body of a woman is found, one of Paula's friends goes missing, and everything spirals out of control. From the beginning you also get chapters from the murderer's point of view, which feeds us just enough information to keep the pace up, and reel you in. The problem for me is that I do not particularly like that form of narrative, where we see things through the eyes of the killer and get his worldview. I prefer not knowing, until the big reveal at the end. Also, the evidence against Tony Hill is not very convincingly explained away so I can understand why the lead investigator set her sights on him. And it remains that way at the end... Why didn't Nadia dry clean her jacket for an entire year? Or if she did, how did the blood stain remain so long???
On the positive side - I loved the fact that almost all the leads were strong, female characters, with their flaws, obviously. And the males supported that without being dimwits or macho. I also loved the commentary on modern policing vs TV cop shows, where the writer hits you with the reality of budgets and spending policies! Also, the reality of the dangers women face in the world, even while taking a stroll in your own neighbourhood, was driven home hard and true. This story is not for those who want the kidnapped ones saved at the end, and all the strings ties up with a pretty bow.
But at the end, for me, Kathy Reichs will always be my favourite modern crime writer! I own ALL her books in paperback, but I think I will make a trip to the Public Library to borrow more of this series. ( )
  Nadishka | Jan 26, 2019 |
I've always enjoyed reading Val McDermid, although it's been a while now, so when I saw this one I really wanted to enjoy it too. It was ok. It just about kept my interest but it felt tired, as if Val was just going through the motions to keep her publishers happy with yet another Tony Hill moneyspinner.

The author has a problem with Tony Hill, and she's well aware of what it is because I heard her say so in person more than ten years ago. He was intended to be a one-off, in a standalone book The Mermaids Singing. In that excellent but harrowing thriller she'd said everything there was to say about Tony and his foil Carol Jordan, and it was a struggle to develop them in one followup, let alone seven. There's also only so many ways you can repeat the sadistic serial killer theme. The first time shocks, the second titillates, and after that you just tighten the screws, as Philip Marlowe might have said, but didn't. It's the curse of the TV franchise of course.

Still, it's good to see McDermid appropriate the character created by and for the TV series, DCI Alex Fielding, and bring her down a peg or two.
  enitharmon | Jan 14, 2019 |

enitharmon | Jan 14, 2019 |
This is very much a book of two halves. As a result of the situation the characters found themselves in the first half of the book was missing it's successful chemistry. The second half of the book then became unputdownable and had to be read in one sitting. This is one of my favourite series of all time, and I can't wait to see where the series goes next. Hurry up and write the next one Val. If you haven't read this series you need to but only if you like psychological and gritty! Unusually for me I would say you do need to read this series in order. In the end gave it 4.5 stars. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn.

David Russell
But you're not here, now, to lead me back
To bed. None of you are. Look at the snow,
I said, to whoever might be near, I'm cold,
Would you hold me. Hold me. Let me go.

'Hammersmith Winter'
Robin Robertson
For my friends by the sea -- thank you for taking me in and bringing me home.
He woke up every morning with a prickle of excitement.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0802122043, Hardcover)

“McDermid is as smooth a practitioner of crime fiction as anyone out there. . . . She’s the best we’ve got.”—New York Times Book Review

Internationally best-selling crime writer Val McDermid’s work speaks for itself: her books have sold millions of copies worldwide, won numerous accolades, and attracted a devoted following of readers around the globe. Her latest, Cross and Burn, picks up where The Retribution left off: following the best crime-fighting team in the UK—clinical psychologist Tony Hill and police detective Carol Jordan—who when we last saw them were barely speaking, and whose relationship will now be challenged even further.

Guilt and grief have driven a wedge between long time crime-fighting partners psychologist Tony Hill and ex-DCI Carol Jordan. But just because they're not talking doesn't mean the killing stops.

Someone is killing women. Women who bear an unsettling resemblance to Carol Jordan. And when the evidence begins to point in a disturbing direction, thinking the unthinkable seems the only possible answer. Cornered by events, Tony and Carol are forced to fight for themselves and each other as never before.

An edge-of-your-seat page-turner from one of the best crime writers we have, Cross and Burn is a chilling, unforgettable read.

“Smooth. Confident. Deeply satisfying. What else can you say about McDermid’s writing? . . . The Jordan-Hill relationship remains the star of the show. . . . It’s a match made in heaven amid hell on earth.”—Entertainment Weekly on The Torment of Others

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:30 -0400)

The crime fighting team of clinical psychologist Tony Hill and police detective Carol Jordan investigate a serial killer who is targeting women who look suspiciously like Carol.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,538,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible