The Treatment by Suzanne Young

The Treatment

by Suzanne Young

This is book 2 in The Program series by author Suzanne Young and it picks up where the story left off in book 1. Sloane and James are fugitives on the run from The Program. While fleeing, they are accosted by Cas and Dallas, members of the rebels who are fighting against The Program. Sloane and James doesn't trust them, but they have no choice but to go with them. While in hiding, they get to know the rebels more and slowly form a friendship with them. Realm reappears inciting an argument between James and Sloane, causing the former to storm off. They are forced to flee again without James and find someplace else to hide. Eventually, the lovebirds are reunited only to be separated again as someone in their group betrayed them and informed The Program of their location. Now Sloane is back in The Program, will she survive or will they finally break her down?

In book 1 I was clearly on Team Realm, but after reading The Treatment I understand why James is a better match for Sloane - they have a history together. Although I still like Realm, it's revealed that he's no angel, he has a complicated past and can be cunning and cruel. I appreciate the addition of new characters (i.e. Kellan) as they added substance to the story, I also like the updates on other characters from the previous book (i.e. Lacey). Most of the conflict were resolved by the end of the book, although how the epidemic started still wasn't addressed. I think this question will be answered in the books that follow. Sloane and James' relationship are still sexually charged, but the author dialed it down a bit, which I appreciate.

I don't understand why the rebels would want to go to a club, even if it's exclusive, knowing that they are being hunted. Also, I don't get why Evelyn, the scientist who created a pill that could bring back memories, chose to do what she did. I'm not going to reveal exactly what because I don't want to spoil the story. Also, this book needs to be proofread again as there are a lot of typographical errors.

All in all I enjoyed reading this book and give it 4 out of 5 stars. I'm reading The Remedy now, which is a companion book to The Program series. ( )
  VavaViolet | Apr 2, 2017 |
I was shocked that this was a sequel that doesn't seem to be leading to another book! Hooray!!

Overall, this was a good end to a terrifying idea of the future. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
While I did enjoy this sequel, I didn’t feel like it lived up to The Program.

I enjoyed seeing Sloane and James outrun the handlers. And I absolutely love Dallas. She’s very straightforward, and doesn’t sugarcoat things. Realm drove me nuts in this book. He did everything he could to get under James’s skin. I also felt like that was way too much focus on Sloane and her relationships with James and Realm.

The Treatment mostly consists of hiding out. There’s danger around every corner as the handlers try to close in on the small group of rebels. The thing I didn’t care for was I thought it was rushed. Well, the last part of the book felt that way. I think it could have been evened out a little more with the other parts. I did like that Dallas threw in a little female roughness. She’s broken, but she doesn’t let that deter her badassery.

I know it sounds like I didn’t like the book at all. I did i Just felt a few things were missing, and some things talked about way too much. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
I was happy with how things worked out, even though I had imagined it would end a little differently. I thought the question of how do memory/personality interact is an interesting one. Suzanne Young will be staying on my radar. ( )
  t1bnotown | Jun 23, 2015 |
The Treatment continued right where The Program left off, Sloane and James are on the run from The Program and are joining up with the Rebels. They're constantly on the move and always have to watch their back for The Program to come after them.

We got to learn more about Realm and his past, even though I'm on team James, there is just something about Realm that makes me feel sorry for him. I know he lied to Sloane but he just loves her so much. The chemistry between them is there, he just knows it will never be like James with him and it's just sad.

I felt it ended really well, enough action and drama. I would of preferred a little bit more romance in this book, I felt it was more about running and hiding from The Program then continuing James and Sloane's relationship. I really enjoyed this two book series, I flew thru each book and just couldn't put them down. I will be checking out other books by Suzanne Young.” ( )
  BeckyGandee | May 28, 2014 |

Working with rebels to bring down The Program, a suicide prevention treatment in which painful memories are erased, Sloane and James consider taking The Treatment to unlock their memories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,760,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible