Pood, kust saab kõike. Amazoni ja Jeff…

Pood, kust saab kõike. Amazoni ja Jeff Bezose lugu (original 2013; edition 2017)

by Brad Stone

This book is the definitive story of Amazon.com, one of the most successful companies in the world, and of its driven, brilliant founder, Jeff Bezos. Amazon.com started off delivering books through the mail. But its visionary founder, Jeff Bezos, wasn't content with being a bookseller. He wanted Amazon to become the everything store, offering limitless selection and seductive convenience at disruptively low prices. To do so, he developed a corporate culture of relentless ambition and secrecy that's never been cracked. Until now. Brad Stone enjoyed unprecedented access to current and former Amazon employees and Bezos family members, giving readers the first in-depth, fly-on-the-wall account of life at Amazon. Compared to tech's other elite innovators -- Jobs, Gates, Zuckerberg -- Bezos is a private man. But he stands out for his restless pursuit of new markets, leading Amazon into risky new ventures like the Kindle and cloud computing, and transforming retail in the same way Henry Ford revolutionized manufacturing. The Everything Store will be the revealing, definitive biography of the company that placed one of the first and largest bets on the Internet and forever changed the way we shop and read. - Publisher.The first fly-on-the-wall narrative account of the world's largest online retailer and its genius creator, Jeff Bezos.… (more)
Member:priit03
Title:Pood, kust saab kõike. Amazoni ja Jeff Bezose lugu
Authors:Brad Stone
Info:

The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon by Brad Stone (2013)

Recently added byphildini, DerekFoos, rick_saenz, private library, porte01, KCOJ, cianduffy

English (35)  German (1)  All languages (36)
Jeff Bezos and Amazon are utterly amazing. I'd love to read a book which really went into detail about his thoughts, where he's going, etc. Still waiting...maybe he'll ultimately write it himself.

This book is probably the closest thing we have to it so far, and is still pretty good, but isn't amazing. No deep insights which are particularly applicable elsewhere, not much deeper insight into Bezos and Amazon than "fierce competitor" and some well-known incidents. You could probably get the same level of insight by reading news articles about Amazon over time, but enh. (more like 3.5 stars).

Unless Bezos decides to write an autobiography, I'd prefer to read a book written about Bezos/Amazon by another entrepreneur, rather than by a journalist. ( )
  octal | Jan 1, 2021 |
This book drips corporate blood. Amazon does not play nice and it makes me wonder if we, as customers, are trading low prices and great customer service now for a very bleak future later. ( )
  ladyars | Dec 31, 2020 |
Very hagiographic — "Jeff, who was very, very smart, treated some employees like dirt. But wasn't that smart of him? It meant he could reduce prices for customers. Jeff is so smart."

Interesting look inside Amazon, though you don't have to read much between the lines to see how miserable life can be there. It's notable how many of the lauded ideas (like the two-pizza teams) turn out to be flops, too. ( )
  st3t | Aug 3, 2020 |
I found this book to be fascinating. I read it slowly to savor it. It was truly delicious. I'm fascinated by the inner workings of Amazon and this book just fed my fascination. I've long been a customer. I interviewed for a job there before they were even on the air (mutual decline there). And for many many years I could see their world headquarters from my living room. I'm sure this book is chalk full of errors and important omissions but I don't care. It was a truly great read. ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |
Hey goodpals. Been on goodreads for a while now (over a decade!), but I'm trying to completely expunge Amazon from my life. Haven't bought anything on there in a couple years, but they own so much stuff now it can still be difficult to avoid. Luckily in the case of goodreads, it's actually extremely easy, especially because there is a much better option now freely available to all! I'm moving over to LibraryThing . It's lighter on the social media aspect, but you can still see and engage with what friends are reading. It lets you actually find, catalog and organize books with an intuitive interface and it doesn't make me feel like I'm browsing the Home Shopping Network's website. It doesn't constantly try to trick you into accidentally signing up for Facebook or Prime or track you around the internet. You don't even need to give them an email, if you don't want. And, it doesn't help line the pockets of the worlds richest and increasingly cartoonishly evil man.

Anyways, I'll leave this up for a little while before I delete my account, but if you switch over too, my name on there is Jetztzeit. Hit me up and add me as a friend!

Jetztzeit | May 15, 2020 |

Brad Stoneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hillman, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quand vous avez atteint l’âge de 80 ans et que vous retracez pour vous-même les grandes lignes de votre existence afin d’en comprendre le sens, le plus parlant restera assurément les choix que vous avez faits dans votre vie. Ce sont eux qui, à l’arrivée, modèlent chacun de nous.

Jeff Bezos,
discours à l’université de Princeton,
30 mai 2010
À Isabella et Calista Stone
Prologue

Au début des années 1970, à Houston, au Texas, une publicitaire, Julie Ray, s’est fortement passionnée pour un programme de l’école publique destiné aux enfants surdoués. [...]
PREMIÈRE PARTIE
LA FOI

CHAPITRE 1
Le grand bazar
Tout a commencé avec une idée. Et cette idée flottait dans l’air de la société Desco (D. E. Shaw & Co.), sise à New York…
[...]
This entry has mismatched title and ISBN.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,523,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible