Prince of Fools (The Red Queen's War Book 1)…

Prince of Fools (The Red Queen's War Book 1) (edition 2014)

by Mark Lawrence (Author)

Member:BatesFamily722
Title:Prince of Fools (The Red Queen's War Book 1)
Authors:Mark Lawrence (Author)
Info:Ace (2014), 367 pages

Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence

I was going to give this 4 stars because the pacing was a little off to me but Jal. JAL. J A L. He's one of the greatest characters I've ever encountered. I do love a good coward. I loved him so much. SO MUCH. I can't wait for the rest of the series. Also I need to finish the Broken Empire trilogy as I've only read the first.
And there's my disjointed review, hey ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
I feel more like a 3 1/2. I honestly thought at one point that I would not be finishing this one, but it managed to grow on me. I still hate the main character though. :/ ( )
  brittanycherlyn | Jun 30, 2017 |
Superb book, a great rootin tootin adventure. ( )
  Deryk_Allan | Dec 23, 2016 |
I knew when I began reading to expect nothing of Jorg's traits in Jalan. In fact I found that he was close to being the polar opposite of Jorg. It's amazing to see Jal's acts of cowardice being mistaken for bravery. You can see him starting to change though, in subtle ways, whether it's by his attention to certain details or reactions to scenarios. I thrive on character development and I can't wait to see just how Jal grows.
It was nice to see characters from the previous trilogy pop up. We even see Jorg briefly : ) and Snorri's encounter with Rike was priceless. ( )
  Letora | Nov 13, 2016 |
Jalan Kendeth is forced into becoming a hero besides himself. He's caught, with Snorri ver Snagason, a huge Norse axeman in magic, a magic that forces him to become a hero, to step up to the plate, do the hard things and fight the good fight. And it works, add to the fact that Snorri and he can't go far from each other and things get interesting quickly.

Snorri is such a boy scout. Jalan is such a rogue and together they make a great team. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Aug 23, 2016 |

Mark Lawrenceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I've always found hitting a man from behind to be the best way to go about things.

"Hailed as "epic fantasy on a George R. R. Martin scale, but on speed,"* the Broken Empire trilogy introduced a bold new world of dark fantasy with the story of Jorg Ancrath's devastating rise to power. Now, Mark Lawrence returns to the Broken Empire with the tale of a less ambitious prince... The Red Queen is old but the kings of the Broken Empire dread her like no other. For all her reign, she has fought the long war, contested in secret, against the powers that stand behind nations, for higher stakes than land or gold. Her greatest weapon is The Silent Sister--unseen by most and unspoken of by all. The Red Queen's grandson, Prince Jalan Kendeth--drinker, gambler, seducer of women--is one who can see The Silent Sister. Tenth in line for the throne and content with his role as a minor royal, he pretends that the hideous crone is not there. But war is coming. Witnesses claim an undead army is on the march, and the Red Queen has called on her family to defend the realm. Jal thinks it's all a rumor--nothing that will affect him--but he is wrong. After escaping a death trap set by the Silent Sister, Jal finds his fate magically intertwined with a fierce Norse warrior. As the two undertake a journey across the Empire to undo the spell, encountering grave dangers, willing women, and an upstart prince named Jorg Ancrath along the way, Jalan gradually catches a glimmer of the truth: he and the Norseman are but pieces in a game, part of a series of moves in the long war--and the Red Queen controls the board. *Fixed on Fantasy"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mark Lawrence's book Prince of Fools was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Mark Lawrence is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,840,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible