Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Aftermath (Aftermath, #1) by Cara Dee

Aftermath (Aftermath, #1) (2013)

by Cara Dee

I was recommended this book by a friend that knows I like M/M and dark reads.
After reading I wouldn't classify this as a truly dark read.  It definitely does have dark elements.

The story is about two men who survived abduction and torture at the hands of a psycho.  There are several flashbacks of what they went through, but the main story going on in the book is after returning from their hell.

The men grew to depend upon each other after supporting each other during their captivity.  When they are dropped back into their lives before, nothing feels right anymore.  Too many changes have taken place.  Neither are the same psychologically, physically, socially, mentally...  Also, after they get home, they can't get over the need for each other, which grows into something more than friendship and enters romance, sex and love.

I really enjoyed reading this book.  It was a combination of a love story (from first stirring to full development) and a psychological study (of a horrific situation after the fact, making it not as bad because you know they survived from the beginning).

toni
FULL REVIEW CAN BE FOUND AT http://fangirlmomentsandmytwocents.blogspot.com/2013/12/aftermath-by-cara-dee.ht...

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
What an amazing story. Told in dual POV in present and past, but very easy to keep up. A story of a tragic event, and the "aftermath" of it. Just saying, the wife is a B****. ( )
  TerriBowles | Jun 26, 2016 |
Well like some other readers here I came away a little disappointed that I did not like this book more, which is a shame as I have read other stuff by Cara and loved it. I felt that the story did not go into enough depth and the wife's reaction was totally unbelievable ( albeit a little too convenient). I would have liked to have gone into the men's relationship more, and seen how things panned out in the long run. That said I would read more of her writing. ( )
  WWDG | May 6, 2015 |
Good read and I'll definitely be checking out authors backlist. Liked the premise and characters, but I think some folk might object to the vilifying of the ex and cookie cutter female leads. All in all though, I quite enjoyed it. ( )
  sharrow | Sep 21, 2013 |
I don't really know how to review this one. Excellently written, heartbreaking, scary, and confusing. I have to wonder, would Austin have ever been attracted to men, and more specifically to Cam, if they hadn't been thrown together the way they were? The bond they formed while captive was beautiful though, so in the end, it didn't really matter. ( )
  Bitchie | Sep 21, 2013 |
Special thanks to L1, L2, Emma, and Meurinne. I couldn't have done it without your support and help.
Unable to sleep, Austin left the bed, slid on his new black-framed glasses, and trudged downstairs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,502,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible