One Plus One: A Novel by Jojo Moyes

One Plus One: A Novel (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Jojo Moyes

Member:pegmcdaniel
Title:One Plus One: A Novel
Authors:Jojo Moyes
Info:Pamela Dorman Books (2014), Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Family relationships, romance, math, teen boy, poverty

The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes (2014)

One Plus One is a delightful and quirky story about making the right choices, being vulnerable, trust, and ultimately, love. The characters were fun and well-constructed. I was intrigued with the life events that brought all the characters closer together. A fun, sometimes silly, sometimes serious, but overall entertaining read. ( )
  CherieKephart | Jul 24, 2018 |
A quick, easy, and predictable read - but fun to get there. The characters were fairly well-developed, as none of the main characters was one-dimensionally all good or all bad. The relationship between the mother, her daughter, and her "adopted" step-son from a previous marriage was heartwarming. Shows the struggle for families living paycheck-to-paycheck, even if some of the family's problems were too easily resolved (it is a feel-good book...) ( )
  kimreadthis | Jun 20, 2018 |
Penguin audio book-the volume of the different voices varied, making it difficult to catch all the words. This might have been better as a print book, where I could have easily skimmed & skipped ahead. I liked the premise, & really wanted to find out what happened to Tansy, the math genius girl. But I did not finish this. Ed's enticement by an old acquaintance, near the start was boring. Later, the cascade of consequences of poor decisions and of poverty, and Jess's stress were just too overwhelming. I was reading for escapism, not to have more reminders of how stressful life is. ( )
  juniperSun | Apr 20, 2018 |
A charming contemporary romance. This is a heart-warming story with a feel good ending that I relished reading. However, as much as I enjoyed it, I predict that it will be like Chinese food -- quickly digested and leaving me craving something more substantial. ( )
  leslie.98 | Feb 21, 2018 |
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Oct 16, 2017 |
Moyes has an unerring sense for the serious as well as for the ridiculous, and “One Plus One” shimmers with both unyielding warmth and canny incisiveness. While it tackles the desperation exposed by the chasm of income inequality and the horrific aspects of bullying, it also catches the more enchanting elements of life’s rich pageant from “the magnificence of total strangers,” to that moment when someone first notices the relaxing effect they’re having on another person and experiences the joyful epiphany of realizing that they are exactly where they belong.

What really makes a book of the summer is when we surprise ourselves. It’s not just about being fascinated by a book. It’s about being fascinated by the fact that we’re fascinated.

The odds: 2-1

Pros: Single mom plus nerdy millionaire equals unlikely romance. And there’s a road trip!
Cons: Very few killer sharks.

To Charles
Ed Nicholls was in the creatives' 'room drinking coffee with Ronan when Sidney walked in.

" One single mom. One chaotic family. One quirky stranger. One irresistible love story from the New York Times bestselling author of Me Before You American audiences have fallen in love with Jojo Moyes. Ever since she debuted Stateside she has captivated readers and reviewers alike, and hit the New York Times bestseller list with the word-of-mouth sensation Me Before You. Now, with One Plus One, she's written another contemporary opposites-attract love story. Suppose your life sucks. A lot. Your husband has done a vanishing act, your teenage stepson is being bullied, and your math whiz daughter has a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that you can't afford to pay for. That's Jess's life in a nutshell-until an unexpected knight in shining armor offers to rescue them. Only Jess's knight turns out to be Geeky Ed, the obnoxious tech millionaire whose vacation home she happens to clean. But Ed has big problems of his own, and driving the dysfunctional family to the Math Olympiad feels like his first unselfish act in ages. maybe ever. One Plus One is Jojo Moyes at her astounding best. You'll laugh, you'll weep, and when you flip the last page, you'll want to start all over again"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,649,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible