The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi…

The Rabbit Back Literature Society (2006)

by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen

The Secret History by Donna Tartt (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: Slow uncovering of a dark secret amongst a tight-knit group of friends. Lots of snow.
    Mr Toppit by Charles Elton (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: Also about a dark mystery surrounding a writer of children's fiction with an air of menace.
    The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson (rrmmff2000)
    rrmmff2000: Lighthearted Nordic stories with no particular destination or hurry to get there.

English (27)  Finnish (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (31)
Inventive, unnerving, and delightful, with occasional forays into the Psychologically Quite Nasty. Either heavily influenced by the Moomintroll books, or (more likely) both were influenced by Finnish/Scandinavian cultural and mythological heritage. Goes past magical realism but stops short of surrealism by just a hair.
Like a fairy tale detective story where the last few pages, when the detective explains it all, are missing. A book that is satisfying on its own (IMO) but practically *requires* you to get someone else to read it so you can animatedly discuss your theories on what exactly was going on with this character or that. Also props to the author for writing an absolutely believable female protagonist. ( )
  amandrake | Apr 30, 2018 |
A young teacher gets an invitation to join an exclusive club of writers, but during the party to celebrate this, the leader disappears and strange things happen. It seems one of the former members disappeared and nobody is willing to talk about this.
I don't know what to think of this book. It started out really well as it took me by surprise and immediately got my attention. It was weird, unusual, funny, enthralling and much more. But eventually, it did not live up to its expectations. Red herrings were all over the place, but few were actually picked up, symbolism was used, but with no actual meaning to it, the plot in itself was very weak and it all turned out to be less special than I'd expected at first.
But all in all, I enjoyed most of the read. Only the outcome was disappointing. If I had written my comments after I had read the first chapters, you'd all have rushed off to the bookshop. Now, I mildly recommend it if you are into something special without expecting too much in the end. ( )
  MGovers | Mar 15, 2018 |
Another book trying to be a bit too clever for itself. When I first heard about it, I somewhat thought it'd be like 'Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore'. A mystery, secret society, books, what was not to like?

Quite a lot. I didn't like 'Penumbra' and hoped this would turn out better. Unfortunately, not so much. Ella has been selected to join the The Society. But of course, not everything is as it seems. There's something weird with that book. Her sister mysteriously vanishes. The Society seems to be hiding something that's much more sinister than what she's been told. So what's going on?

I wanted to like it, was curious. I'm not sure if it's because it's a translated work that is why it didn't work for me. I was mildly interested in the beginning but the book couldn't hold my attention. I don't mind magical realism or supernatural elements to the reading, but the book needs to be written well-enough to hold my attention. This definitely did not.

Just to let the reader know there is sexual violence that may be triggering/upsetting for some readers.

Honestly, I'd skip it. Borrow from the library if you must. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
Fascinating & well done but ultimately a tad anticlimactic even though the end was in keeping with its Twin Peaks meets The Secret History vibe. Recommended for the roller coaster ride bibliomystery ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
Ella was born and bred in Rabbit Back, a small town which boasts one famous resident - the children's author Laura White. Laura set up the Rabbit Back literature Society many years ago, a small group of invited authors who have gone onto great success. Membership of the Society is by invite only and Ella is invited to become the 10th member. However soon after Laura disappears and the secrets of the Society are brought to the surface through the playing of 'The Game', a society ritual. However around the town of Rabbit Back there appears an air of menace, books are mutating, a mysterious mould is found and the local dogs prefer to live wild than with their owners.

It's really hard to pigeonhole this book, in fact looked at objectively it shouldn't work. There are elements of so many different genres here, a mystery/thriller, a book about books, a hint of mythology, a soupçon of horror, a romance of sorts etc. There are no real answers at the end apart from the solving of the mystery about the lost member, no real pulling together, no real explanation. Given all that the book should be a real mess, but it isn't. It's original and clever and thoroughly entertaining but also quite beguiling in the need to read on to find out what happens next. It's quite possibly the oddest book I've read in a long time but no less enjoyable for that. ( )
  pluckedhighbrow | Jun 26, 2017 |

Jääskeläinen, Pasi Ilmariprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rogers, Lola M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Omistett Ilonalle, Milolle ja Nemolle, jotka vielä tunnistivat työhuoneesta kompuroineen muukalaisen.
Kiitän ateljeekriitikkoani kirjailija Sari Peltoniemeä, joka suostui altistumaan Keskeneräisille unille.
Lukija ensin hämmästyi ja sitten loukkaantui, kun rikollinen nimeltä Raskolnikov äkkiä surmattiin hänen silmiensä edessä keskelle katua.

"Only nine people have ever been chosen by renowned children's author Laura White to join "The Rabbit Back Literature Society," an elite group of writers in the small town of Rabbit Back. Now a tenth member has been selected: Ella, a young literature teacher. Soon Ella discovers that the Society is not what it seems. What is its mysterious ritual known as "The Game"? What explains the strange disappearance that occurs at Laura White's winter party? Why are the words inside books starting to rearrange themselves? Was there once another tenth member, before her? Slowly, as Ella explores the Society and its history, disturbing secrets that had been buried start to come to light... In this chilling, witty novel for readers of The Shadow of the Wind, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, and S., the uncanny brushes up against the everyday in the most beguiling and unexpected of ways"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,081,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible