Mr Dixon Disappears: The Mobile Library by…

Mr Dixon Disappears: The Mobile Library (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Ian Sansom

Member:paulmorriss
Title:Mr Dixon Disappears: The Mobile Library
Authors:Ian Sansom
Info:HARPERPERENNIAL (2006), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Mr. Dixon Disappears by Ian Sansom (2006)

English (12)  Dutch (1)  All languages (13)
Entertaining second installment. I particularly liked the (spoiler warning!) sequence with the police interrogation. That bit was axtremely funny. Not sure there were much detecting done, but still... Israel is a rather hapless detective, so that was probably as expected. ( )
  NilsAndersson | Jan 19, 2014 |
Israel Armstrong is the librarian for the Tumdrum and District Mobile Library, Northern Ireland. One Saturday morning he arrives at Dixon and Pickering's Department Store to set up his acclaimed five-panel touring exhibition of the store's history to find the store’s proprietor, Mr Dixon, has disappeared and someone’s stolen all the cash from the safe. The Police arrest Israel for the crimes and when he's released on bail he has to try to solve the case using techniques gleaned from a random selection of crime fiction and with the help of Ted the local cabbie (and general odd-job man).

If you are looking for a book with an engaging and intriguing plot to keep you up past bed time I would suggest you go elsewhere because you won't find one here. Honestly, the entire thing can be summed up in two paragraphs and even then is a bit contrived to be sensible.

However, if you can put aside your need for story for a couple of hours and just enjoy the beauty of funny, well constructed sentences and some charming characterisations then I highly recommend the book. Sansom was (or possibly still is) a columnist for The Guardian and he brings the same kind of wry, observational wit and love of language to the writing here. Just after he is released on bail Israel is driven back to Tumdrum

Tumdrum! What can you say about Tumdrum?

An impartial observer - and indeed Israel himself until this morning - might perhaps have said that the best thing you could say about Tumdrum was that it wasn't actually offensive...Tumdrum was not really the kind of place that inspired you to want to stick around for too long: it was not the kind of place that threw its arms around visitors and offered you a hundred thousand welcomes: it was more the kind of place that made you want to check the bus timetable to find out when the next bus might be leaving.

But to Israel, now, this morning, Tumdrum was like Shangri-La.

There are some delightful characters in the book too and even though they initially might present as absurd you really ought not dismiss them as such because they all, in their way, offer insight on their world and the people in it. Whether it be the Reverend Roberts who cheekily introduces an element of showmanship into his Easter service or Robbo the local version of a radio shock jock Sansom uses his characters to make some shrewd observations about people.

I suspect It's not the sort of book that everyone will like but language lovers and people who've seen enough dead bodies for a while will enjoy this one. ( )
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
Wish I liked this series better because it has all the elements I like in a story, libraries and mysteries. However, I've given up, can't finish this one - I forced myself to finish the first one but this one is just too much of the same thing. All the awful stereotypes of a male librarian, made almost inarticulate just drove me out. It's on to other things for me. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |
... peccato abbia iniziato, per distrazione, dal secondo volume, che, spero, come tutte le opere seconde non è poi così brillante. ( )
  vanlilith | Jul 25, 2012 |
I was elated to find this book at TLA as an advanced reader copy. Just as good as book one, I think. Now I wait for number three. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
For Sean 2005-2006 R.I.P.
He was sick of the excuses and the lies. He was tired of the evasions and the untruths, of people refusing to stand up and speak the truth and take responsibility for their own actions. It seemed to him like yet another symptom of the decline of Western civilisation; of chaos; and climate change; and environmental disaster; and war; disease; famine; oppression; the eternal slow slide down and down and down. It was entropy, nemesis, apotheosis, imminent apocalypse and sheer bad manners all rolled into one. ----- People were not returning their library books on time.

Mr. Dixon a member of the Ulster Association of Magicians, has gone missing—along with one hundred thousand pounds in cash. Israel Armstrong, bighearted and overly inquisitive, should stick to delivering library books to out-of-the-way readers and not get involved in the investigation. But of course, he can't help himself—which costs him his job and earns him a place of dishonor among the police's prime suspects. Can Israel clear his name and get his van back? Will the exhibition of old local photos he's been driving around County Antrim offer clues to Mr. D.'s whereabouts? And is a romance in the offing with winsome barmaid Rosie Hart?

All will be revealed!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:14 -0400)

Jewish bookmobile librarian Israel Armstrong investigates the disappearances of a magician and a large sum of money, a case in which he finds clues in his five-panel touring exhibition.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,274,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible