Half a King by Joe Abercrombie

Half a King

by Joe Abercrombie

Series: The Shattered Sea (1)

English (108)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (111)
I didn't really know what to expect going into this book, but I knew that I enjoyed Abercrombie's work, so I gave it a shot. Turns out I really like it.

The story isn't anything mindblowing or anything new. Yarvi finds himself on a throne he never wanted but then is betrayed and left for dead. Now, he wants revenge against his betrayers and to reclaim the throne. What makes the story interesting to me is that without his title, he's basically nothing. He's not a great warrior/wizard/thief/etc., but it turns out he is very cunning, and he uses that to great extent. His progression is believable, and he never becomes something he's not, (e.g. when he kills Odem and Shadikshirram, he stabs them while they are distracted instead of magically becoming a great fighter for just that time).

Overall, I was planning on giving this book 3 stars, but then I read the final chapter. That one was brilliant. It ended the book perfectly while still setting up for the rest of the series. That chapter alone was worth another star. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
It's ok. Abercrombie's adult fiction is much better written, not just in language but also in terms of plot and characters. There isn't anything righteously offensive, but nothing spectacular or even vaguely memorable either. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
When you're in hell, only a devil can point the way out.

Some Sundays call for change. Yesterday was dappled in sunshine but shrouded in hangover. Brother sologdin offered a review of one of Abercrombie's books. It shrieked of diversion. I galloped to the library only to discover that the series in question was checked out. They did have this trilogy, which I was quick to discover as YA. Oh well. Heir to the throne becomes king despite disability and --just as quick--is tossed into Hegel's ashbin. Can we muster the mustard for vengeance? Time would've been better spent watching Korean revenge cinema, say, I Saw The Devil or The Chaser. The novel was swallowed without issue, without promise. That is my oath, though I will peek at the reviewed texts when they become available. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Not as much fun as his other books. Dark humour missing. ( )
  morusss | Jan 23, 2019 |
I've been looking forward to this book since I saw it mentioned online: my only experience with Joe Abercrombie's writing has been with Best Served Cold, one of the most fascinating reads of the past few years, and that single one was enough to make a fan out of me. This new work went beyond every expectations I had, even though many articles indicated it would be Abercrombie's first attempt at a YA novel: that's not a sub-genre I enjoy, but I wanted to trust the author, and the gamble paid off handsomely.

First things first: in my opinion, the only reason this novel as been marked as YA (apart from some possible marketing goals) is that the main character is a teenager, and probably because the graphic (but never gratuitous) violence I encountered in Best Served Cold is quite toned down here. But that's about it, because the themes are very adult, and the protagonist reacts in a very adult, believable way, while he travels on his coming-of-age journey.

Full review: http://spaceandsorcery.wordpress.com/2014/09/13/half-a-king-joe-abercrombie/

4,5 stars
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |

Joe Abercrombieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bryan, MikeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, David G.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was a harsh gale blowing on the night Yarvi learned he was a king. Or half a king, at least.

Heir to the throne Yarvi, prompted by the murder of his father, embarks on a kingdom-transforming journey to regain the throne, even though having only one good hand means he cannot wield a weapon.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Joe Abercrombie's book Half A King was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,661,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible