My Own Mr. Darcy by Karey White

My Own Mr. Darcy

by Karey White

I really enjoyed this book, and I could see the parallels between it and Pride and Prejudice. However, I agree that the contrast between Matt and Chad was a little too black and white. I would have enjoyed it even more if Matt had been portrayed as "misunderstood" the way Elizabeth and Chad had said Mr. Darcy was when they watched Pride and Prejudice together. It was obvious from the beginning who Elizabeth would choose, and I was hoping for a little more fleshing out of Matt's character. When the similarities were revealed between Darcy and Matt's personalities, I felt like the author missed some opportunities to make us root for both guys. I would have enjoyed that, I think, just a little more.

Another thing I noticed is that it seemed like the story was missing a few scenes--the author would be describing a date with Chad, and mention that Elizabeth would be seeing Matt the next day or something. But we wouldn't ever hear about that date. It felt almost as if scenes were copied and pasted into a template, but a few went missing in some places.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, but then realized I had already bought it and started the book several months before. It was an intriguing concept, but there were a couple of weird spots I had to get past to finish the whole thing.
  gentlespirit512 | Nov 22, 2016 |
This wasn't what I had in mind when I read the book, but I'm glad I read it just so I could stop being curious.

Elizabeth wants her own Mr. Darcy. I get that. I really do. But life doesn't work that way and she's having to learn it the hard way! Matt is totally wrong for her. Not only is he not like Mr. Darcy, he's worse! He's BORING. He's dry. Not amusing. I don't see any sparks between the two. They are so badly suited that they don't even fight/argue well. It's pathetic. Chad is everything she needs. And deep down, I think she's scared to give up that perfect dream of the perfect man because the perfect man doesn't exist. And Chad suits her so much better than Matt.

Would I reread this book? Not a chance because Mr. Dawson is just blah-blah-BORING. ( )
  caslater83 | Nov 12, 2016 |
Karey White has done an outstanding job of creating a magical, romantic tale. The descriptions are well-done–usually I have trouble seeing something in my mind (would it be so bad to have pictures in novels?), but things came alive for me in this book. I spent a lovely afternoon caught up in the world of Lizzy, Chad, and Matt. 4 Bubbles. Read full review at www.bubblebathbooks.net ( )
  bubblebathbooks | May 9, 2014 |
Sweet, fun and heart warming are all perfect descriptions for this story. Although predictable for a Jane Austen fan like myself, it is a wonderful spin off that I enjoyed from start to finish. At moments I laughed, felt sad and yet always connected to the characters and the story. The dialogue is a real plus as it really drew me in. Loved the characters and the overall story was entertaining and a clean romance worth the Jane Austen influenced title. I received a copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Oct 3, 2013 |
Jane Austen is the ruiner of love lives everywhere! How can we settle for anything less than Mr. Darcy? Then hotties like Matthew Macfadyen and Colin Firth play the brooding, proud Darcy, and there's no hope for the rest of us. We're hopelessly smitten. This is exactly what happens to Elizabeth in this book. Her life is turned upside down after she watches Pride and Prejudice starring Mathew Macfadyen. Every man she dates, she compares to Mr. Darcy. Her bff challenges her to go out with the next guy that asks her out at least ten times before making any excuses as to why she doesn't want to date them. Elizabeth reluctantly agrees. That's when she meets Chad. Chad is a great guy, but he isn't Darcy. However Elizabeth is true to her word and agrees to date him. However her world is thrown for a loop when Matt Dawson, who looks almost exactly like Macfadyen and acts like Darcy, walks into her job. She's smitten from the start. Matt asks her out, and she can't refuse. However as she starts to date Matt as well as Chad, she realizes that things are more complicated than she thought they would be. She's torn between having her dream guy and falling for someone who isn't like anything she's dreamed.
This is such a great story. I loved every moment that I read it. The chemistry between the characters was great. The story sucked me in, and I had to keep reading to find out what happened next. Elizabeth struggles with her ideal man and a realistic one. She just has to figure out which one fits the bill. I think this is a subject that a lot of people can relate to. For we've all fallen in love with a literary hero, whether it's Mr. Darcy or not. And while they look fantastic on paper, reality is a different story. I think this book will appeal to Austen lovers as well as romance lovers. The Janites will appreciate the Darcy angle while it's contemporary enough to appeal to a broader audience. This is a great book to cuddle up with over the weekend!
Read more at http://www.2readornot2read.com/2013/09/review-my-own-mr-darcy-and-enter-to-win.h... ( )
  mt256 | Sep 29, 2013 |

After being dragged to the 2005 movie Pride and Prejudice by her mother, sixteen-year-old Elizabeth's life changes when Matthew Macfadyen's Mr. Darcy appears on the screen. Lizzie falls hard and makes a promise to herself that she will settle for nothing less than her own Mr. Darcy. This ill-advised pledge threatens to ruin any chance of finding true love. During the six intervening years, she has refused to give any interested suitors a chance. They weren't Mr. Darcy enough. Coerced by her roommate, Elizabeth agrees to give the next interested guy ten dates before she dumps him. That guy is Chad, a kind and thoughtful science teacher and swim coach. While she's dating Chad, her dream comes true in the form of a wealthy bookstore owner named Matt Dawson, who looks and acts like her Mr. Darcy. Of course she has to follow her dream. But as Elizabeth simultaneously dates a regular guy and the dazzling Mr. Dawson, she's forced to re-evaluate what it was she loved about Mr. Darcy in the first place.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,372,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible