The Hobbit {graphic novel} by Chuck Dixon

The Hobbit {graphic novel} (1990)

by Chuck Dixon, Sean Deming

Other authors: Bill Pearson (Letterer), David Wenzel (Illustrator)

Series: The Hobbit - Graphic Novel (1-3)

Very very good adaptation of Tolkien's HOBBIT I finally took down from the shelves after 11 years. I wanted to reread the actual novel but didn't have time, so this was my fall-back. Good storytelling with great art by David Wenzel. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
In 1989, Eclipse Comics had Charles Dixon and Sean Deming adapt J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit with art by David Wenzel. The story is as faithful to the source material as it can be in an adapted format, though it far surpasses Peter Jackson's three-movie adaptation. Wenzel's watercolor artwork recalls Hal Foster's Prince Valiant, visually setting Bilbo's adventures in the same heroic tradition as other classic stories, and each page is a work of art on its own, with particularly gorgeous splash pages depicting Smaug, the raft men of Dane, and others. Fans of Tolkien will enjoy this and it would work well to introduce younger readers to the Middle Earth legendarium. ( )
1 vote DarthDeverell | Aug 17, 2016 |
A faithful rendition, though it naturally loses some of the richness of the book.

Wenzel's artwork is certainly proficient, and I enjoyed the look of his watercolour technique but (you knew there was a but coming!) I was less enamoured of his characterisations. Bilbo looked a little too homely - perhaps an indication of my own prejudice in regard to what a 'heroic protagonist' should look like - the elves not ethereal or other-worldly enough. Gandalf and the dwarves were very good, though, and the illustration of Smaug on page 101 is magnificent.

Despite my grumbles, this is a worthwhile adaptation and an enjoyable read. ( )
  Michael.Rimmer | Jul 25, 2016 |
I had this unread graphic novel on my shelf and decided that it was time to check out the graphic version of "The Hobbit". I was not disappointed. I recently finished reading "The Magical Worlds of The Lord of The Rings; The Amazing Myths, Legends, and Facts Behind The Masterpiece" by David Colbert and decided to go back to my shelves for another Tolkien read. Great illustrations and adaptation. ( )
  linsleo | May 5, 2016 |
As a visual representation of the characters, plot, and setting of The Hobbit, this is far superior to the films that have been made of the book. As such, it may work as brain-bleach for Tolkien fans unsettled by the casting and rewriting of the Peter Jackson epic or the horrible cartoon version that preceded it. ( )
  muumi | Jul 14, 2014 |

In the Hobbit we get as close I think as possible to the roots of the Fantasy genre without going back to the original myths, and epic poems, and legends themselves. What were stock charachters and plots are new and fresh ideas.
added by camillahoel | editReadAndFindOut, Ryan (Oct 16, 2009)

Dixon, Chuckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deming, Seanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Pearson, BillLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wenzel, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Díaz Buendía, Lorenzo FélixTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hallqvist, Britt G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Höglund, Jan-ErikCalligraphysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pettersson, GunnarCalligraphysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.
This is the graphic novel version of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, adapted by Charles "Chuck" Dixon & Sean Deming, illustrated by David Wenzel. Please distinguish it from other editions of the original novel, other adaptations, and LT Works for separate parts (1, 2 & 3) of the graphic novel. Thank you.

The enchanting prelude to the Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit is the story of Bilbo Baggins, a quiet and contented hobbit whose life is turned upside down when he joins the wizard Gandalf and thirteen dwarves on their quest to reclaim stolen treasure.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,769,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible