Slowly Downward: A Collection of Miserable…

Slowly Downward: A Collection of Miserable Stories (edition 2005)

by Stanley Donwood, Adam Rickwood (Illustrator), Ambrose Blimfield (Illustrator)

201515,329 (3.7)5
Member:psutto
Title:Slowly Downward: A Collection of Miserable Stories
Authors:Stanley Donwood
Other authors:Adam Rickwood (Illustrator), Ambrose Blimfield (Illustrator)
Info:Naked Guides Ltd (2005), Edition: 4th Revised edition, Paperback, 128 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2013 challenge

Slowly Downward by Stanley Donwood

Brilliant

More semi-silent desperation from the Radiohead artist. A collection of flash fiction, some only half a page long with a fantastic introduction (also only half a page long) by Ric Jerrom. Donwood looks at the world sideways through a grey filter as he writes his collection of miserable stories although there is a sly deeply black humour at work here too. Since one of the stories is printed with permission on Amazon I reproduce it here:

New Job

After a tortured night I awake full of determination.
I review my position, and consider with circumspect gravity my inner strength.
My new job demands much, and I eat my breakfast whilst wearing a serious and adult expression.
I suck the hot coffee with a professionally pained mouth, and flip the pages of my broadsheet nonchalantly.
I swoop back up the stairs in my towelling dressing-gown, and fling open my wardrobe in a manner which I assume to be casual and easy.
My suit hangs in front of me, full of nothing. It is up to me to fill it with myself.
I pull on the trousers, and carefully fold my penis behind the zip, fastening the button with what I hope is a manly grin.
I tuck my shirt into the trousers, and spend some time with my understated tie.
My jacket feels slightly small under my arms, but it is nothing anyone would notice.
I wonder what my new workmates will be like, and fantasise briefly about the relationships I may possibly enjoy with other members of the organisation.
I glance once again at my digital watch, and decide that I am ready.
I pull on my coat, check that I have my keys, and walk out of the front door, slamming it firmly behind me.
I stand outside, looking blankly ahead, realising I don't have a new job at all.

Each story stands alone and takes minutes to read so you could savour and think of each individually however the collection builds together a deeper picture that can also be pondered.

Overall – Highly recommended flash fiction ( )
  psutto | Jan 29, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,075,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible