Anvil of God: Book One of the Carolingian…

Anvil of God: Book One of the Carolingian Chronicles

by J. Boyce Gleason

I won this in a GOODREADS giveaway! #GoodreadsGiveaway ( )
  tenamouse67 | Jul 21, 2018 |
I went into this book knowing that I was going to probably have to brush up on my history as I hadn't learned much about the time period in which this was set. This was one book that while I didn't hate it, I didn't really love it either. Trudi was, by far, my favorite character because I could relate to her very well. She doesn't really enjoy the typical womanly things of the time and instead chooses to learn to sword fight, dress more like a man when she can, and take charge of her own destiny. The three boys on the other hand seem to fall right into the numerous traps laid out after their father's death. While I know the Christian vs Pagan feud was big during this time period, I didn't expect to see it so divisive of a concept, even in the royal family and even in the way they talk about it. It just wasn't something that I'd come to expect in my readings about the time period to catch up on the basics of what was historically going on. It seemed to me that the book was very Christian leaning in that Christianity = good, Paganism = terrible with no flexibility between the two and I just couldn't get into it much to enjoy it. ( )
  Jessinikkip | Mar 31, 2018 |
giva away winner; contrary to what the others have written; the story was just so so ( )
  longhorndaniel | Jul 19, 2017 |
Compelling and fun! Makes me want to get a TARDIS and go back to bitch slap Carloman! More please! ( )
  CarriePalmer | Feb 14, 2015 |
I was lucky enough to receive ARC from author.I enjoyed book and liked most of the characters.I disliked some of the violence as some it was a bit graphic.I was drawn to this book because of the cover and time period this taken in. ( )
  jonathan21 | Mar 11, 2014 |
“Sweeping Historical Epic. Anvil of God moves at a swift pace, accentuated by its engaging characters and tension-filled plot. A perfect narrative pace that sustains attention with suspense.”

“Literally unputdownable: as good as anything written by literary giants such as Ken Follett, Bernard Cornwell, Philippa Gregory, and Stephen R. Lawhead. The first installment of Gleason’s Carolingian Chronicles, this debut is a “must read” for anyone who enjoys historical fiction.”

“Political intrigue straight out of George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series, except that Gleason’s novel is based on stories of real people, and this historical “game of thrones” is engrossing, with fast-paced, crisp prose and smart dialogue. An enticing read, sure to please lovers of historical fiction and political and religious intrigue.”

“Gleason’s utterly confident novel is the first in a projected series about the 8th century Carolingian dynasty. Gleason’s grasp of (his) characters is nothing short of marvelous; dialogue is sharp throughout, and the book’s obviously vast research is smoothly worked into the narrative.”

“Gleason’s gripping historical novel offers readers a vivid mix of bloody battles, intriguing characters, and plenty of pagan sex rites…a page turner.”

"It is 741. After subduing the pagan religions in the east, halting the march of Islam in the west, and conquering the continent for the Merovingian kings, mayor of the palace Charles the Hammer has one final ambition-the throne. Only one thing stands in his way-he is dying. Charles cobbles together a plan to divide the kingdom among his three sons, betroth his daughter to a Lombard prince to secure his southern border, and keep the Church unified behind them through his friend Bishop Boniface. Despite his best efforts, the only thing to reign after Charles's death is chaos. His daughter has no intention of marrying anyone, let alone a Lombard prince. His two eldest sons question the rights of their younger pagan stepbrother, and the Church demands a steep price for their support. Son battles son, Christianity battles paganism, and Charles's daughter flees his court for an enemy's love. Based on a true story, Anvil of God is a whirlwind of love, honor, sacrifice, and betrayal that follows a bereaved family's relentless quest for power and destiny" --… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

J. Boyce Gleason's book Anvil of God, Book One of the Carolingian Chronicles was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

J. Boyce Gleason is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,435,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible