Notes to Myself: My Struggle to Become a…

Notes to Myself: My Struggle to Become a Person (edition 1983)

by Hugh Prather

Member:atlaswinks
Title:Notes to Myself: My Struggle to Become a Person
Authors:Hugh Prather
Info:Bantam (1983), Paperback, 176 pages
Tags:{^}, BiblioThing

Notes to Myself: My Struggle to Become a Person by Hugh Prather

A collection of thoughts. Some profound, others self indulgent. This book reflects the late 60's and early 70's sense of self discovery. What would later be called the "Me Generation". I can still open this book to a random page and think. Sometimes I find myself there, other times not. ( )
  Borg-mx5 | Feb 10, 2010 |
I don't remember where I got this book but it and "Smiles" were a very positive influence on a young kid. Those two books helped me through some rough times. ( )
  Awfki | Aug 16, 2008 |
Each page is new age pith that could be performed by Stuart Smalley. Put the pages together and the process facing the contradiction of self examination of being oneself, where the examination changes the self being observed. Everything is personal becomes an abstract philosophy that depersonalizes. Then the awareness of depersonalization creates new personal emotions. Deep convoluted simplicity, perceived honesty which hides what?

This is one work worth many rereading in different times of life. ( )
  DromJohn | Oct 20, 2007 |
Reading NOTES TO MYSELF is one of those rare experiences that comes only once in a great while. The editor who discovered the book said, "When I first read Prather's manuscript it was late at night and I was tired, but by the time I had finished it, I felt rested and alive. Since then I've reread it many times and it says even more to me now. The book serves as a beginning for the reader's exploration of his own life and as a treasury of thoughtful and insightful reminders.
  rajendran | Feb 19, 2007 |
A friend introduced me to this little gem as a teenager nearly twenty years ago, and I've returned to it often over the years in times of stress. The piercing clarity and brutal honesty of these simple, yet profound, observations slows my racing thoughts and magically puts things into perspective. So find a quiet place, set aside an hour or two, and let Hugh Prather show you how to live in the moment and rid yourself of that insatiable craving for external validation. You won't regret it.

-Kevin Joseph, author of "The Champion Maker" ( )
  KevinJoseph | Jan 25, 2007 |
to Carl Rogers (whose On Becoming A Person showed me where to look)
If I had only. . .
forgotten future greatness
and looked at the green things and the buildings
and reached out to those around me
and smelled the air
and ignored the forms and the self-styled obligations
and heard the rain on the roof
and put my arms around my wife
. . . and it's not too late

She may die before morning.

Reading Notes To Myself is one of those rare experiences that comes only once in a great while.  The editor who discovered the book said, "When I first read Prather's manuscript it was late at night and I was tired, but by the time I finished it, I felt rested and alive.  Since then I've reread it many times and it says even more to me now."  The book serves as a beginning for the reader's exploration of his or her own life and as a treasury of thoughtful and insightful reminders.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:19 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,648,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible