Deadly Gamble by Linda Lael Miller

Deadly Gamble (edition 2008)

by Linda Lael Miller

Member:aapike
Title:Deadly Gamble
Authors:Linda Lael Miller
Info:HQN Books (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Deadly Gamble by Linda Lael Miller

Having been a fan of paranormal for many years I have read tons of vampire/werewolf type books and although many are so wonderful they tend to spend all eternity on my keeper shelf I tend to have a soft spot in my heart for other types of paranormal books. The ones that center around some sort of psychic activity really intrigues me. I admit, I love shows like Medium and The Ghost Whisperer and reading books along the same lines is just right up my alley.

Mojo Sheepshanks wakes up one day (or night as it actually happened to be) laying next to her dead ex-husband. So starts her life as a person who can see ghosts. Understandably she is a little shaken and this book relives her emotions and experiences of that first contact. The story does seem a little out of whack a bit because it takes place in the first person where Mojo is actually telling the story of her first encounter with the dead. I was a little confused at first because although she is telling us about seeing dead people I couldn't figure out why seeing her dead ex was so traumatic. When I figured out this was her recap for the readers benefit the lightbulb came on and I really started to enjoy the book from that point on.

I was a little uncomfortable with Mojo's name....I kept reading it as...Mojo-jojo which is a character from the Power Puff Girls. But after awhile I got used to her name as I got used to the first peson narrative also.

The suspense of the book kept me reading as much as the paranormal woowoo stuff did. Mojo's background is unknown to her and the mystery of her childhood that she forgot is very intersting as is her adoptive family. She has two sisters who couldn't be more different from her. Both are as interesting as Mojo herself.

After a little bit of a rough start this book just took off and kept me reading late into the night. Right after having finished this book I immediately picked up the second in the series to read more about Mojo.

Although a great book I am not keeping this one, I might read it again at a later time but will get it from the library should I chose to do so. So, I would recommend that you find a copy either at the library or a used book store. Definitely a book you would like especially if you enjoy books like Victoria Laurie's Abby Cooper Psychic Eye series and her Ghost Hunter books. ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading this book although it will not make my list of greatest reads. I plan to pass on my copy to a friend. I am waiting to get a copy of the next in this series through bookmooch.com so maybe I liked it better than my three stars after all. What I was really disappointed in was the thin description of the setting including especially Cave Creek, Arizona. I would have appreciated more authentic details that way. Also when the heroine returns to her hometown it would have been worthwhile for the author to set this scene: an old desert town now part of the suburbs of Phoenix---vast changes just like the heroine.

The plot does depend on the ghost of the main character's late exhusband and the ghost of her dead cat from childhood. I am wondering if this will get too far-fetched for me to enjoy the rest of the books in the series.

I did like the main character's struggles with the memories of her childhood and her relationships with her foster sisters. That showed some complicated and genuine emotions.

The cover art was really off. Never does the main character wear chaps and the bar depicted should have been where she lives which has two stories, a parking lot and located in Cave Creek, Arizona which is not in the middle of nowhere! ( )
  Alice_Wonder | Jan 29, 2009 |
Educated by Damn Fools Guide to..., successful childhood kidnapping victim and part-time medical billing aide Mary Jane Sheepshanks, known as Mojo, has a lot of luck with the slots, and not so much with relationships. But when she wakes up to find her dead ex-husband in bed with her, well that's a bit much. It seems Nick has come back from the beginning of beyond to make amends for his cheating ways -- he has to if he wants to get farther into beyond than the beginning. When Nick is joined by her dead cat Chester, a death threat arrives via cell phone, an estranged uncle and her murderous half-brother Geoff make a surprise appearance, well, let's just say Mojo's life is getting a bit complicated.T

This is one of Miller's best in quite a while -- the plot strains all credulity, but the dialogue made me chuckle, and except for the slight nervous breakdown and a couple of screaming fits, Mojo is a likable character. The sequel Deadly Deceptions is due out in March 2008, and I think I'll be buying. ( )
  SunnySD | Jan 27, 2008 |
The book starts off with a smart-mouthed sarcastic conversation between our heroine and her dead ex-husband. She's a medical biller and lives above a bar. Her aunt/mother figure is in a nursing home in ill health. While visiting her aunt, she runs into an uncle she hasn't been in touch with since being kidnapped from her parents' murder scene. After many scary events, our heroine is able to discover the truth about her parents' deaths. Improbable plot but the main character's humor reminds me of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum. A good light read. ( )
  av71 | Jul 17, 2007 |
Great start to a new series! Think "Ghost Whisperer" or "Medium", but on a much lighter & humorous scale.
If you like quirky characters like Stephanie Plum, then you'll love Mojo Sheepshanks & her escapades.
Can't wait for the next installment! ( )
  bookbeat | Nov 13, 2006 |

Linda Lael Millerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bennett, SusanReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rijst, Maaike van dersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Joan Marlow Golan with love, admiration and aprreciation. Thanks
At first, the chill was a drowsy nibble at the distant and ragged edges of my awareness, raising goosebumps on the parts of my flesh bared to that spring night.
Deadly Gamble reissued in July 2016 as Arizona Wild

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373772009, Mass Market Paperback)

Mojo's got an uncanny knack for winning at slots, but her home sweet home is Bad-Ass Bert's Biker Saloon. She'd love to go undercover with an irresistibly hot cop, but he's got baggage as big as his biceps. Mojo survived a mysterious childhood tragedy, but she's never quite figured out who she really is or how to get on with her life. Now the wisecracking Mojo is seeing ghosts—the ectoplasmic kind— and turning up baffling clues to her real identity. And she'll need all her savvy and strange new talent to keep someone from burying her—and the truth—for keeps.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:37 -0400)

Mojo's got an uncanny knack for winning at slots, but her home sweet home is Bad-Ass Bert's Biker Saloon. She'd love to go undercover with an irrestistibly hot cop, but he's got baggage as big as his biceps. Mojo survived a mysterious childhood tragedy, but she's never quite figured out who she really is or how to get on with her life. Now the wisecracking Mojo is seeing ghosts.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,352,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible