Random Passage by Bernice Morgan

Random Passage (1991)

by Bernice Morgan

214654,496 (4)34

I actually really liked this. I didn't think I would, because it has the world's most boring cover, but the more I read, the more it hooked me. I started in a rush, but quickly found that I had to slow down to appreciate the language and the descriptions of the harsh life on the Cape. The plot constantly twists, the characters are interesting, and the structure of the book ensures events are regarded from two points of view. The ending was satisfyingly unpredictable, leaving scope for another chapter (or another novel!) to be written. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
After watching the CBC production of this book and it's sequel a few years back I have been wanting to read it and so glad that I finally did. I even had the privledge of meeting the actress on the cover, Aoife McMahon who briliantly played Mary Bundle. The book elaborates on the characters and their backrounds which of course gives the reader a full rounded perspective on who they are and a much more dynamic aspect to the whole story. Some interesting events take place that were not in the film that I enjoyed discovering. One of my favorite Canadian books! ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
Random Passage

Historical novel about the courage and raw humanity of outcasts wringing out subsistence living in the barrens of Newfoundland (Cape Random) from mid to late 19th century. I would have liked a map and dates. ( )
1 vote MoniqueMcN | Aug 15, 2011 |
Spanning 15 years in the early 1800s, this is the tale of two families living in a remote Newfoundland outport. It's primarily a story about the struggle to survive, but also about relationships, personalities, and secrets.

Two-thirds of the book is narrated from the point of view of Lavinia Andrews; the last one-third gives the viewpoint of Thomas Hutchings, a secretive man who is employed to be at Cape Random for the fishery. This second view adds depth to the novel.

The novel includes vivid description of the harsh conditions; one cannot but be struck by the severe isolation and the dependence on each other for survival.

The discussion of the seal hunt povides perspective on its importance for survival of the early settlers of Newfoundland.
This is a must-read for anyone interested in Newfoundland history. ( )
2 vote Schatje | Feb 24, 2011 |
This book begins the journey of one woman trying to find her roots and intertwines it with the story of another trying to put some down. Back and forth between the early settling of Newfoundland and modern day, this book is an engaging story of loss, ancestry, and the overwhelming human need to belong. ( )
2 vote refashionista | Mar 17, 2009 |
Random Passage was republished in the US as Cape Random

This is the story of a small group of English immigrants and their struggle to establish a community and livelihood in the forbidding environment of Cape Random on the NE coast of Newfoundland in mid-environment of Cape Random on the NE coast of Newfoundland in the mid-1800s.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,844,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible