A Shiver of Light (A Merry Gentry Novel) by…

A Shiver of Light (A Merry Gentry Novel) (edition 2015)

by Laurell K. Hamilton (Author)

Member:ddeej56
Title:A Shiver of Light (A Merry Gentry Novel)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton (Author)
Info:Jove (2015), Edition: Reissue, 416 pages

A Shiver of Light by Laurell K. Hamilton

Hamilton's Merry Gentry series is so much more multiple-layered than her Anita Blake books. I've always been a fan of the political intrigue aspects of Merry's life, and this book doesn't disappoint. The characters are drawn well for a book of this type, and we learn more about them in Shiver. Overall, a satisfying escapist read! ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
Finally new Merry Gentry book and I'm happy to say that I enjoyed it.

It wasn't very action packed but it was nice to see what's going on in their lives. We see some new sides about Andais which was nice.
I have to confess I was little relieved when discovering who's going to die. Glad it wasn't my fav character...

One problem I have is that there's so many characters in the series and they just keep coming. I don't think we need so many minor characters who has nothing to do in the big picture. ( )
  Elysianfield | Nov 16, 2016 |
I hate to be mean but this was really bad (Sorry Laurell).

This book has killed the series for me and possibly all of her books (which is sad cause I loved her books). It felt so lazy like she didn’t want to be writing about Merry at all.

As with most of her books, there’s a lot of recapping of previous books events (feels like she’s trying to up her word count here) and really detailed descriptions of people’s looks (the fabric and exact colour of that dudes shirt has no influence on anything. Upping the word count again maybe). The character’s discuss the same matters over and over and over, bringing nothing new to the table.

There are two major events in this book, one at the beginning and one at the end. The rest of the book is just filler, covering topics mentioned numerous times in all of the previous books. How many times do we have to hear that Merry’s Dad was a great guy? How many times do we have to hear that her aunt is way into torture? How many times do we have to hear that her uncle is a nutjob? And don’t get me started on those dang nails!

Near the beginning of the book she wrote a sentence that grated at my skin so much, it was really difficult to continue reading. She’s describing a pair of sunglasses that Mistral puts on; ” They were silver metal frames with mirrored lenses that reflected everything like a silver mirror.” Good God this woman has 3o books (bestsellers no less) under her belt, I know she’s better than this! She also reuses common phrases in a short space of time more than once throughout the book. It almost gives the impression she thinks her readers are stupid or have really bad memories but I think she just didn’t care about this book.

A Shiver of Light was written 5 years after the last book in the series, and after reading it I get the feeling she only wrote it because she felt she had to. It is boring and lazy and destroyed Merry’s story. This series should have been shorter and finished by now. ( )
1 vote elainemurphyirl | Jul 1, 2016 |
From Fantastic Fiction:

Merry Gentry pretends to be human. She moved to Los Angeles and began working as a private investigator at Grey's Detective Agency. But all of this is just a disguise; in fact she is a princess of faerie, her real name is Meredith Nic Essus, and she had to flee the Dark Court of Faerie because of attempts on her life.

In order to inherit her rightful crown, Merry needed to conceive an heir, a notoriously difficult task for the slow-reproducing Fey. In the 2009 novel Divine Misdemeanors, Merry had finally achieved that goal - and fans have been kept waiting all this time to find out what happens!

My Thoughts:

The last book in this series was written five years ago. That is a very long time to go on a series that is as sometimes complicated as this one...either that or it was the world's longest pregnancy. The waiting is over and triplets have arrived. Okay...that takes care of ten pages. After waiting, for what felt like forever, for a new Merry book, I was rather disappointed in this book. It just seemed to go on and on in detailed description about everything, never getting to an actually point. I actually skipped pages at times to work through some of the longer, descriptive parts that had no merit.

One of the most important parts of the book was not even written in detail like all the other less significant topics in the book. This oversight took away from a pretty sad, dramatic part of the book. I wish she would have focused more on that and less on describing the color of people's hair or things that happened in the past.

I'm not sure if Laurell Hamilton is just tired or what, but you can tell this book was not up to the same levels as the others. I also thought that it read like a final effort on her part.

Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Merry and her band of friends and lovers enter new territory as the babies are born. Powerful as they are there is a learning curve to newborns, especially for the magically inclined. Taranis is still a royal pain, I hope he gets his just deserts in death- that remains to be seen. Something immortal and unstable as he deserves to be stopped permanently. Andais seems to have settled down for now, trying to be who Meredith wants her to be for the grandchildren. Yet this book has a true ring of sadness, there is much tears and shock. And what happens to king Sholto... It is just not fair... ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionscalculated
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I feel like one who treads alone. Some banquet hall deserted, whose lights are fled, whose garlands dead, and all but he departed! Thus, in the stilly night, ere slumber's chain has bound me, sad memory brings the light of other days around me. - Thomas Moore
To the fans who let me know how much they missed Merry and her men. You finally get to read the next part of the story.
I woke in the desert, far from home, and kew it was a dream, and that it was also real.

I am Princess Meredith NicEssus. Legal name Meredith Gentry, because “Princess” looks so pretentious on a driver’s license. I was the first faerie princess born on American soil, but I wouldn't be the only one for much longer...

Merry Gentry, ex–private detective, now full-time princess, knew she was descended from fertility goddesses, but when she learned she was about to have triplets, she began to understand what that might mean. Infertility has plagued the high ranks of faerie for centuries. Now nobles of both courts of faerie are coming to court Merry and her men, at their home in exile in the Western Lands of Los Angeles, because they will do anything to have babies of their own.

Taranis, King of Light and Illusion, is a more dangerous problem. He tried to seduce Merry and, failing that, raped her. He’s using the human courts to sue for visitation rights, claiming that one of the babies is his. And though Merry knows she was already pregnant when he took her, she can’t prove it.

To save herself and her babies from Taranis she will use the most dangerous powers in all of faerie: a god of death, a warrior known as the Darkness, the Killing Frost, and a king of nightmares. They are her lovers, and her dearest loves, and they will face down the might of the high courts of faerie—while trying to keep the war from spreading to innocent humans in Los Angeles, who are in danger of becoming collateral damage.

"Merry Gentry, ex-private detective, now full-time princess, knew she was descended from fertility goddesses, but when she learned she was about to have triplets, she began to understand what that might mean. Infertility has plagued the high ranks of faerie for centuries. Now nobles of both courts of faerie are coming to court Merry and her men, at their home in exile in the Western Lands of Los Angeles, because they will do anything to have babies of their own. Taranis, King of Light and Illusion, is a more dangerous problem. He tried to seduce Merry and, failing that, raped her. He's using the human courts to sue for visitation rights, claiming that one of the babies is his. And though Merry knows she was already pregnant when he took her, she can't prove it. To save herself and her babies from Taranis she will use the most dangerous powers in all of faerie: a god of death, a warrior known as the Darkness, the Killing Frost, and a king of nightmares. They are her lovers, and her dearest loves, and they will face down the might of the high courts of faerie--while trying to keep the war from spreading to innocent humans in Los Angeles, who are in danger of becoming collateral damage" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,509,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible