Without Warning by David Rosenfelt

Without Warning

by David Rosenfelt

An early time capsule opening from nds mysterious clues... which end up involving the police chief. Why? That is the story. Good story buy the writing seemed flat to me. ( )
  LivelyLady | Oct 20, 2017 |
I generally have a distaste these days with serial killer novels. It’s a subgenre that is insanely overdone, and most of these novels are a waste of time. That made it all the more surprising when I read a novel featuring a serial killer that I actually enjoyed. For starters, the premise was great. A newspaper staff opens up a time capsule that they had placed five years earlier, and inside the capsule is a sheet of paper that predicts a number of deaths, including the murder of the wife of Sheriff Jake Robbins. Jake is investigating the case, and soon learns that every single person who dies is tied to him, and more specifically, can be seen as people that he holds grudges against.

The author has an easy to read and enjoyable writing style. He alternates between first person in Jake’s point of view to third person with other characters. The suspense in the novel builds as each death mounts, all sticking with the predictions that were made in time capsule. Generally, the serial killers in these novels are dreadfully unbelievable. This novel does not suffer from that. The one weak spot in the novel is that I didn’t find the killer’s (and the people working with him) motives to be sufficient to kill all these people. Still, it was a good read and I would recommend it.

Carl Alves – author of Conjesero ( )
  Carl_Alves | Oct 23, 2016 |
This is a page turning thriller filled with twists and turns around every corner with believeable characters and an unusual plot. ( )
  lewilliams | Jul 5, 2016 |
I have liked other David Rosenfelt books, but this one let me down. I thought there were too many holes in the plot. ( )
  ksnider | Jul 27, 2015 |
“Without Warning” by David Rosenfelt

Jake Robbins, touted as a hero and who is currently acting Chief of Police, has no idea what the opening of the town’s time capsule is going to do to him and how it’s going to turn it life upside down.
Katie Sanford is the editor of the local paper in Wilton, Maine. This small town has a tradition of burying a time capsule every fifty years. After a hurricane comes through, they fear the worst for the soundness of the capsule and it’s decided it will be opened early to make sure its contents are okay.
Jake, Katie, and many others are there when the capsule is unearthed and opened. What they find is not what they expect…well, they expect some of the items, but something else is included. It’s a list of predictions…murderous predictions. Jake needs to figure out who put it there, why, and what the predictions mean…and fast.
He’s able to figure out the first few, but before anything can be done, the ‘Predictor,’ as he is called, brings about the occurrence of the next prediction. One event after the other is supposed to happen, victim after victim. And Jake figures out quickly that it all has something to do with him. Unfortunately for Katie, it may be too late. She is taken and it’s up to Jake not only to stop further murders but to also save Katie and bring down the man responsible for all the havoc.
A tense novel, which had a grip on me that I couldn’t shake until the last page. Quick-paced, riveting, and completely thrilling. Rosenfelt just made one of my top faves list. Completely recommended!

Reviewed by Starr Gardinier, author of “The Other Side: Melinda’s Story” ( )
  StarrReina | Jul 27, 2015 |

"It's been thirteen years since Kate Callahan's husband committed suicide after being arrested for murdering Police Chief Sean Blaylock's wife. It's a small town and memories are long, but they've all tried to put the tragedy behind them, especially Kate and Sean. But it's all brought up again when the town's quaint tradition of creating a time capsule every fifty years reveals a macabre set of predictions dating back to days before the murder/suicide. Someone predicted Cindy Blaylock's death, and forty-nine other tragedies, which have been occurring right on time for more than a decade. At last, after all these years, Kate has reason to hope that her husband might not have been guilty of Cindy's murder after all. But as she and Sean race to stop the next predictions from coming true, they find themselves caught in a terrifying mind game with no rules . . . and life or death consequences"--… (more)

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,571,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible