Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine…

My Heart and Other Black Holes (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Jasmine Warga (Author)

Member:lbhlibrary
Title:My Heart and Other Black Holes
Authors:Jasmine Warga (Author)
Info:Balzer Bray (2015), 320 pages

My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga (2015)

English (28)  German (2)  All languages (30)
4.5 ( )
  jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |
I'm not a depressed person, I've never been like that. And I'm pretty sure that if you ask my friends to describe me, they'll say I'm optimistic and happy.
I don't know this feeling of depression, that black worm, as described in the book, that swallows all the happy things.
But like any other person, I also have these periods of ups and downs, times when things get better, and things get along less. And even in dark moments, when I feel that there is no hope, that things never go away, that there is nothing to try more, that it is better to quit and give up now because I'm not going to succeed anyway.
But it never lasts for long. I always get up at some point, pull myself out of it and keep trying, still hoping. Unlike me, the heroine of this book has lost its hope long ago.
She sees no point in trying and continuing, chasing after goals, doing something at all.
She's stuck in the past, and she cannot keep going. She was sure she was a burden to everyone, including herself, that she'd better disappear from this world. She is not sure if she will be able to do the act alone, so through the Internet, she finds someone who will share her suicide.
Roman, the heroine's partner, was an accepted child, the type of child whose life is perfect. But since a family tragedy, he is full of self-blame and no longer sees any point in life.
Between these two, a strange spring of friendship based on the shared desire to disappear from the world.

And this is the stage that I must stop you from illusions.
I'm sorry, I did not like it. I just did not like this story. Well, ye, it has a cool name, a pretty promising start but it destroyed very quickly. Something in writing itself made it difficult for me to read it, and the expected plot of kitsch certainly did not add. Depression is described as childish and unreliable and is the heart of this book. Sorry! ( )
  RUTHKOLOCKR | Jan 11, 2019 |
3.5 stars.

This was a pretty fantastic book.

It started dark and poignant, which I really loved. It struck me right in the chest from the beginning.

I really felt for Aysel, and cared for Roman. The chemistry between them felt real, sparkling, hopeful.

And the ending was also pretty emotional; it rounded everything up well.

The only qualm I have about this book - which made it a four- instead of a five-star - is that at times I found the transition between Fucking-Sad Aysel to Happy Aysel a bit galling, like it didn't feel exactly natural all the way through. It was like she was so sad, and I felt her pain pouring out of her, and the words were smeared with it - and then, the book became so impossibly hopeful in so short a time.

Hopeful is good, of course, but I just needed more building up into it, a gradual ascent, something that I could believe in. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
First of all, there can never be enough books about teenage depression and suicide. Adolescence is a painfully confusing time and books like this one help teens see that everybody's journey is unique and meaningful. That said, this book brought two relatable characters together with a common goal. Once you learn the characters back stories it seems almost too good to be true. It seems like it would never happen in real life because of how uniquely bad their situations are. That's the beauty of this book in my opinion. I feel like if I had either of their lives I would have been in such a darker place, but the fact that they manage to navigate a road to recovery is a very powerful message. ( )
  startwithgivens | Mar 21, 2018 |
Now this was a plot a bit different than what I am used to and that's such a great thing because I loved it. Here it is, another fictional couple I'm attached to and I wish that there would've been more because it was adorable. It also reminded me of Jodi Picoult's "The Pact". ( )
  Denicbt | Feb 5, 2018 |

"Seventeen-year-old Aysel's hobby--planning her own death--take a new path when she meets a boy who has similar plan of his own"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,492,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible