Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood,…

Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More

by Janet Mock

An amazing articulation of a life, that balances personal details and broader statistics to give both an in-depth and a sweeping view of the lives of transgender people. Janet Mock is essentially a prophet, and every single person I know and love needs to read this. ( )
  aijmiller | Dec 24, 2016 |
Redefining Realness is an emotional and enjoyable read. In it Janet Mock bears her soul to the reader, showing a level of vulnerability rarely achieved in a memoir. Not only does she tell her own story of growing up as a trans girl but also provides a wealth of information about issues facing trans girls and women. Reading this book taught me that I was even more uninformed about those issues than I realized. I am thankful to Ms. Mock for standing in her truth and being willing to bear all. Her story helped me better understand the difficulties facing trans women in our society and inspired me to be vulnerable and let my true self be known. ( )
  Bibliosy | Jul 9, 2015 |
I am blown away by this book. Janet's honesty and wisdom are something everyone should experience. I wanted to know more about the transgender community and ended up knowing more about the world. While she is telling her own story, she is reaching into our hearts and teaching us about love and the world! I have a new hero! ( )
  Kiddboyblue | Jul 3, 2015 |
Redefining Realness is Janet Mock's account of growing up as a poor, multiracial trans woman in Hawaii. It's a very honest and moving account of what she went through in order to fully transition and gain the life she always wanted: a successful college graduate, she now lives in New York City with her partner. Mock writes both about her particular experiences and about the broader experiences of trans women, particular trans women of colour, and is unfailing in her insistence that being trans is only one part of anyone's identity. Who trans people are is also shaped by their ethnicity, class background, sexuality, etc. This book is an important and a necessary one.

However, the actual prose of Mock's writing is often weak, particularly in the introductory chapter. There are many clunky descriptive paragraphs, ill thought through metaphors and bits of awkward or ungrammatical syntax. It's a shame because when Mock spends more time on what she's saying rather than how she's saying it, her writing is much more direct, unaffected, and powerful. ( )
1 vote siriaeve | Nov 30, 2014 |
Mock is a great writer. She tells her story with quiet emotion, sidestepping the titillation some readers may expect. Instead, she notes the importance of creating a safe world for all marginalized people, through family, education, and culture. ( )
  allison.sivak | May 19, 2014 |

Janet Mockprimary authorall editionscalculated
Putorti, JillDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tredwell, AaronCover photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vairo, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You become strong by doing the things you need to be strong for. This is the way genuine learning takes place. That's a very difficult way to live, but it also has served me. It's been an asset as well as a liability.

--Audre Lorde

"In a landmark book, an extraordinary young woman recounts her coming-of-age as a transgender teen--a deeply personal and empowering portrait of self-revelation, adversity, and heroism. In 2011, Marie Claire magazine published a profile of Janet Mock in which she publicly stepped forward for the first time as a trans woman. Since then, Mock has gone from covering the red carpet for People.com to advocating for all those who live within the shadows of society. Redefining Realness offers a bold new perspective on being young, multiracial, economically challenged, and transgender in America. Welcomed into the world as her parents' firstborn son, Mock set out early on to be her own person--no simple feat for a young person like herself. She struggled as the smart, determined child in a deeply loving, yet ill-equipped family that lacked money, education, and resources. Mock had to navigate her way through her teen years without parental guidance but luckily with a few close friends and mentors she overcame extremely daunting hurdles. This powerful memoir follows Mock's quest for identity, from her early gender conviction to a turbulent adolescence in Honolulu that found her transitioning through the halls of her school, self-medicating with hormones at fifteen, and flying across the world for sex reassignment surgery at just eighteen. Ever resilient, Mock emerged with a scholarship to college and moved to New York City, where she earned her masters degree, basked in the success of an enviable career, and told no one about her past. It wasn't until Mock fell for a man who called her the woman of his dreams that she felt ready to finally tell her story, becoming a fierce advocate for girls like herself. A profound statement of affirmation from a courageous woman, Redefining Realness shows as never before what it means to be a woman today and how to be yourself when you don't fit the mold created for you"--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,239,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible